It’s been all heat and sax in the office this week. Millions of squirming, screaming saxophones solo-ing in the highest temperatures since Albert Ayler records began.
Amongst the hot and the sax we’ve managed to scramble together the ‘best’ records of the week. For ‘best’ read ‘only’. For this week is about as exciting as France Vs Denmark.
On with what passes for a ‘show’.
- Let’s Eat Grandma get normalised/boring-ized.
- Jim James has the world’s most stretchy voice. Probably.
- On a good day with the wind behind her Florence and her Machine can be heard in outer space.
- Johnny Jewel finds time to write unused music for Twin Peaks.
- Tropics. Summer-ready neon lit soul. Scrumptious,
- Gorillaz try to pretend the last one didn’t happen. But we remember...oh how we remember.
- John Coltrane. Like a wasp in a jam jar.
- Twee-poppers The Essex Green are back after 12 years of studying Elk rutting. True!
- The Rock*A*Teens are great! It’s REM! It’s Bruce! They come from Cabbagetown!
- Abstract Orchestra re-work a load of Dilla in big band style.
- Hesitation are kind of ‘The Trip’ for improvised lo-fi.
- Lojii and Sworvy make a splendid mumbly mix
- tape for fans of Dilla etc.
- Mick's Jaguar fail to call their album Keith’s...um...er..Charlie’s….ah feck it,
- Feck. Back to right the wrong of not calling early albums ‘Off’, ‘You’ and ’My Boss’.
- Prefuse 73 continues the cut and chop.
- The Blank Tapes make sunshine soul pop that thinks it’s from the ‘60s.
- Dawes think a bit about the world. Not to be confused with Jim Davidson’s lot.
- The Room In The Wood bring a bit of Liverpool guitar pop classicism to the table.
- Gwenifer Raymond. I mean….who on earth is called Gwenifer? Well this one brings the sound of the Delta Blues to Brighton.
- On Fuzz Club! RF Shannon do crafted Tame Impala/Whitney type stuff while Sherpa The Tiger are Goat meets Kraftwerk.
- Freschard & Stanley Brinks. He really does have an eye for ladies.
- Embrace. Now here we have a classic. Remember their Love Is A Basic Need album? No? Well they’ve only gone and orchestrated it!
Here all our Staff Reviews of the best (and worst) bits.
- 15th anniversary upgrade for Max Richter’s ‘Blue Notebooks’.
- 90’s flop hairs Adorable get their dream pop re-issued.
- Tireless sound maverick Colin Potter was so busy in ‘81.
- Choose one of the three (THREE!) copies of The Wizard of Oz we have in stock.
- Wire’s ‘Pink Flag’ classic is back in on vinyl.
- Craft Spells “A slightly limp New Order” we said back in 2011.
- Guru’s classic jazz meets hip-hop opus ‘Jazzmatazz’ is elongated.
Ant’s Electronic Round-up:
School Sports Day enlivened by ‘TT RV kzM 2P_Shaper 1#03’ on the ‘phones.
- Pure dancehall fire from MC Miss Red produced by The Bug on his own Pressure label. 500 copies on murder red wax.
- Double whammy from Warp’s Arcola offshoot with 12”s from Primitive Art and Ethiopian Records / የኢትዮጵያ. Both limited to 500 copies.
- Quality 12" EP on Sähkö Recordings incl. Matti Turunen (aka Morphology), 20.05.1996, Ni Ko and Jarno Valli.
- Raime have cultivated a potent new strain in their ever-evolving sound.
- Sote's most excellent 'Sacred Horror In Design' vinylized on Sub Rosa.
- ElpH vs Coil 'Worship The Glitch' and Coil presents Black Light District 'A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room' CD reissues on Dais. Wax to follow...
- Reissues from Colin Potter, Lena Platonos and Richard Wahnfried (aka Klaus Schulze), plus the second volume of Miss Kittin & The Hacker's Lost Trax, all on Dark Entries.
- Voices From The Lake style glacial techno from Seraphim Rytm.
- Rare oldskool UK hardcore from DJ Nex aka Mark Archer (Altern 8/ Nexus 21).
- Reissue of Tin Man 303 heaters ‘Acid Acid’ expanded with a 4th disc of unreleased material from the period and remastered by Stefan Betke.
- Ossia dubbing in hell. 10 “ on Blackest Ever Black, edition of 250 copies.
- Ace, limited white label from John T. Gast.
- Japanese soundtracks and adventure game inspired LP from Ōgon Batto on Aguirre.
- Reel By Real essential Detroit techno Marty Bonds retrospective repressed.
- Braindancing EP from Brainwaltzera on Analogical Force.
- Delsin reissue a second selection of in-demand cuts from the enigmatic Lost Trax.
- Fine, diverse SSTROM 2LP on Rösten aka half of SHXCXCHCXSH.
- Strategy dubwise techno on Khaliphonic. 700 vinyl LPs - no repress, no digital.
- Outstanding new skool Drum & Bass 2x12" from Forest Drive West. Ultra limited copies. Pure drum science.
- Fathoms deep EP from Marco Shuttle on Donato Dozzy and Neel's Spazio Disponibile label.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price! Try us.
- Free Shipping! UK orders over £50 ship for free.
- Normanpoints save you money! Sign up for an account and start saving.
- Cheap Overstocks. Inc. Dope, Arthur Russell, Hinds, Soccer Mommy.
Office paddling pool ordered.
Words: Clint and Ant.
Work: Kim, Jamie, Benn, Daoud, Phil, Nathon and a Judy Garland superfan.
Robin is busy hanging out with this guy.
Customer Compliment of the Week: “they posted me a record that I chose”. Here are our Feefo reviews.
“I think he needs a new wife”