It's that time again where folks set their alarms for a previously unseen time in the morning and gather at the local record emporium to re-buy previously available records at inflated prices. Well just like last year we're not doing it so please do not show up at the grey monstrosity we call home on Saturday morning as we won't be here. We'll be in bed.
However what we can tell you is we're hoping to score some of the better titles after we've gone round begging to see which leftovers we can scrounge. Basically check the site at 8am on Saturday 28th April is all we’re saying.
Next year we hope they reissue this. On with this week’s stuff.
- Sufjan Stevens loves Tonya Harding. She hates him.
- The Longcut start the long journey back from copying the Cure.
- Of course Bill Wells is in the National Jazz Trio of Scotland.
- Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy: not now, not ever, a prince.
- Causal hibernate inside post-rock.
- Drowse makes some gloomgaze groans.
- How much Pitchfork is too much Pitchfork? Ask Mouse On Mars.
- The intentionally obnoxious DRINKS (Cate Le Bon + Tim Presley) do it again.
- Hey Colossus folks Henry Blacker are a good gateway to sludge.
- Alexis Taylor… is still… around
- Mark Peters. Definitely not Mike Peters. Nothing to do with him in fact.
- I can’t wait to listen to the new Neil Young album on my Pono.
- The Great Electric are Stereolab Jr.
- Bradford’s Still Circles play some laid-back, wine-friendly electronic pop.
- The new Melvins LP sees Ant step out of his techno review ghetto. No vinyl yet.
- Tommy Mandel. Sales point: he once played keys from Bryan Adams.
- Another record of terror and contemplation from Christine Vantzou.
Literally the worst weekend...
- Presenting the official hair of Radiohead: Jonny Greenwood.
- Stars of t’Lid. Back when they were Fulham FC sampling drone bairns.
- Belong before they dreamed in pop.
- Yung Wu quenches Clint’s Feelies thirst.
- Shudder to Think are from when SST wanted to sign Queen.
- Gomez. The best thing out of Southport since Mark Lawrenson’s hair.
- Disco Inferno’s last rant ‘Technicolour’ is now here on vinyl.
- Jan Jelinek’s classic ‘Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records’ re-waxed.
- Plush / Liam Hayes is back. Still curly.
Ant’s Electronic Round-up:
Is the Nintendo Switch a Modular Synth?
- Chicago house god Larry Heard returns as Mr. Fingers with his first album in forever.
- Deep, immersive ambient techno outta Detroit from Shorelights aka Rod Modell (DeepChord, CV313), Walter Wasacz and Christopher McNamara.
- Terre Thaemlitz vinyl edit of a track from the epic 'Deproduction' memory stick + deep house mix as DJ Sprinkles.
- Ross From Friends lands on Brainfeeder, providing our Clint’s potential feel good hit of the summer.
- 'Trap Configurations' 7-track EP on June incl. Svengalisghost, Manie Sans Délire, Trenton Chase etc.
- Time to jack! Jamal Moss ‘Acid Taken Over’ double pack has finally arrived, featuring some sizzlers from his ‘Acid Attacks’ tape plus an exclusive vinyl only track.
- Lush deep space techno and ambient house from Ukrainian producer Vakula alter ego Vakulism.
- Japanese DJ/producer Hiroshi Watanabe's (Kaito) tracks sound custom built for Derrick May's Transmat.
- Beta Evers and NYC lovebirds Spatial Relation split one in half for some electro action on Peripheral Minimal. One tune features Heinrich Mueller aka Gerald Donald.
- DJ Python’s 2LP of mutant reggaeton house re-pressed.
- Cam Deas switches up his strings for computer and modular synthesizer for an LP of dissonant, disorientating soundscapes and tangled, otherworldly electronics.
- Juan Mendez (Silent Servant/Sandwell District) delves further into the ghosts of EBM as Sterile Hand alongside Ori Ofir on vocal duties.
- Grubby techno/electro EP on Glasgow's West End Communications from Ludgate Squatter which I'll wager my children is one of the nutters from Clouds.
- L/F/D/M EP of grotty grinders and a splattering of acid. Includes a remix from Surface / Poverty Is Violence bossman Nick Dunton.
- Theo Parrish and chums have the fourth part in the Gentrified Love series to funk you up.
- Thomas Fehlmann and Terrence Dixon hook up and continue the longstanding Berlin/Detroit techno connection.
- Limited, as ever sold out at source 12” from Levon Vincent featuring two standout cuts from his ‘For Paris’ digital album.
- Lena Willikens selects a bunch of tunes from JASSS, Sandoz, Parrish Smith, Sysex, Garland etc. for a compilation on Dekmantel.
- Slowglide assembles fragments of inspiration from the history of dance music into fully modern tracks on Antinote.
Tune in tomorrow for an EXCLUSIVE plus a thing we can’t talk about.
Words: Clint, Robin and Ant. Work: Kim, Jamie, Benn, Daoud, Phil, Nathon and the sick shoegazer.
Customer Compliment of the Week:
“They really satisfy”.
Visit our Feefo page…no big deal, we’re just impeccable.
Shakin’ Stevens and Sufjan Stevens. No relation.
- Update: Thursday 4th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 11th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 18th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 25th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 1st February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 8th February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 15th February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 22nd February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 1st March 2018,
- Update: Thursday 8th March 2018,
- Best & Worst: March 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 3rd April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 5th April 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 10th April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 12th April 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 17th April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 19th April 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 24th April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 26th April 2018,
- Best & Worst: April 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 1st May 2018,
- Update: Thursday 3rd May 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 8th May 2018,
- Update: Thursday 10th May 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 15th May 2018,
- Update: Thursday 17th May 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 22nd May 2018,
- Update: Thursday 24th May 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 29th May 2018,
- Best & Worst: May 2018,
- Update: Thursday 31st May 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 5th June 2018,
- Update: Thursday 7th June 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 12th June 2018,
- Update: Thursday 14th June 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 19th June 2018,
- Update: Thursday 21st June 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 26th June 2018,
- Update: Thursday 28th June 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 3rd July 2018,
- Update: Thursday 5th July 2018,
- Best & Worst: June 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 10th July 2018,
- Update: Thursday 12th July 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 17th July 2018