Oh wait, what? The weekend ended? After four days? This simply won’t do. Back from a bank holiday blitz are we, and so is ‘the music industry’, with its ‘records’, and its ‘riffs’, and its ‘fills’. Whatever you’re in the market for, I hope you had a nice holiday and Easter and Passover and sofa slumber. It is time, now, for the mundanity of life. Here are some records.
As yet unheard by human ear...
- Language. Sex. Food. Other?
- Ready the tears: C. Diab is back, baby.
- Hop Along continue to innovate emo.
- Goat Girl play 19 tracks in 40 mins! Swift.
- What if Adventure Time was a punk band? Well, it’d be Hoof Glove.
- Wye Oak render some gorgeous environments.
- FACS are Disappears but disappeared.
- Absolutely weep for Zinovia Arvanitdi’s piano.
- This week’s musical Black Mirror equivalent comes from PYRIT.
- I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats. And… George Michael, occasionally.
- How come Elijah Wood didn’t release this Frodo Baggins album?
- Island. Just one of them.
- Eels are back to cash in on the Shrek meme resurgence.
- The new Cosmo Sheldrake record is your new pet-shopping OST.
- The Amazing release Mark Kozelek’s best record in years.
- Uh… the Lucid Dream released an acid house 12”. Cool?
- And… Black Milk is making psych rock? I need to wake up.
Once more around the great big onion.
- One of your all time classics by Love is Forever Changing. Now in big box.
- Spacemen 3. What’s recurring? (2009 joke),
- Yellow copies of that Insecure Men record.
- Quack quack the latest Pere Ubu big box is in.
Fancy a small?
- A new Jane Weaver 7” to accompany her tour apologising for Public Service Broadcasting.
- Thurston Moore still with impeccable hair.
Ant’s Electronic Round-up:
Full of Creme Egg and Kerridge 12”s…
- Deviant Pop From Europe 1980-1991 compiled on the ‘Uneven Paths’ 2LP on Music From Memory.
- Lucy Railton takes an unorthodox and uncompromising approach to cello combined with collaged location recordings, electronics and musique concrète.
- Bristol crew Young Echo’s ace genre obliterating album re-pressed after it sold out in a day!
- Tor Lundvall’s ambient takes us to ‘A Dark Place’. LP on Dais Records.
- Densely textured, beaming, emotive analogue/digital ambient techno from 154 aka Jochem Peteri.
- Jackin’ acid house from Posthuman on Chiwax.
- New album of murky sci-fi techno/electro from legendary Italian producer The Mover
- Stompin’, tracky Chicago flavored cuts from Marquis Hawkes. Limited hand-stamped copies.
- Classic Detroit electro/techno from Aux 88 with their 1993 ‘Technology’ EP reissued.
- Double pack of cuts produced for a Silicon Scally live set aka electro hero/warrior Carl Finlow.
- Kwes. is back to making his own tunes on Warp.
- The Vision aka Robert Hood classic 'Spectral Nomad' repressed on Metroplex plus M500 & 3MB 'Jazz Is The Teacher' back in stock. Both 100% crucial.
- Coloured wax 2LP of celestial techno/electronica from B12 chap Steven Rutter.
- Off-kilter Balearic beats, krautrock-inspired bumpers and dubby cosmic disco the ‘Various Lurkers’ 4-track 12" EP on Space Ritual incl. Kalidasa, Zmatsutsi, Tony Pineman & Tross.
- Aguirre re-issue some potent Moog new age healing music from Randall McClellan.
- Cardopusher back on Super Rhythm Trax with some acid squelchers and NYC flavoured house and freestyle cutz.
- Melodic house/breakbeat action from Project Pablo on Technicolour.
- Ricardo Villalobos remixes Afrobeat don Tony Allen on Dekmantel.
Tune in next week and find out about Phil’s once-in-a-lifetime, all-expenses-paid trip to Harrogate.
- Update: Thursday 4th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 11th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 18th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 25th January 2018,
- Update: Thursday 1st February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 8th February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 15th February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 22nd February 2018,
- Update: Thursday 1st March 2018,
- Update: Thursday 8th March 2018,
- Best & Worst: March 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 3rd April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 5th April 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 10th April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 12th April 2018,
- Update: Tuesday 17th April 2018,
- Update: Thursday 19th April 2018