Top headlines this week
It's been a big week for preorders...let's put it that way.
Drone/doom legends Earth celebrate their 30th band birthday with their ninth album, Full Upon Her Burning Lips. It's another double LP and you can grab the limited, indies-only "Crimson / Black Galaxy" version if you're quick enough. We can only guess that 'Black Galaxy' is some kind of black that's even darker, even doomier than regular old black?
Coming to our attention slightly late in the week was this Pregoblin 7". It's fair to say there's usually a healthy amount of scepticism around anything coming out of that whole Fat Whites scene here at Norman Towers, but in reviewing this one Will not only overcame his distaste but introduced us all to a great new word - tatterdemalion.
Speaking of Will and of reviews, we think he may have broken the world record for use of the abbreviation 'EP' in under 300 words...
New week, new Dinked Edition. Inspired by the experience of learning to drive later in life, apparently. Speaking as someone who didn't pass their test until they were nudging 40 themselves, 'Destroyer' seems apt because I knacked my wife's car within weeks.
Grab our emails to stand your best chance of snagging these Dinked things btw, because they are selling out within hours these days.
Let's finish with a quick list of some other notable things from this week:
- We've teamed up with the NME to produce a weekly overview of some of the best vinyl preorders.
- As we approach the end of the financial year, so the powers-that-be here approach the notion of heavier monthly discounts. 15% off rather than the usual 10%.
- And you can grab both our Weekly Playlist and our Friday Jukebox over on our YouTube channel.
Have a great weekend!
This week's reviews
- Combustion by Pregoblin (9/10 from Will)
- Beware of the Dogs by Stella Donnelly (8/10 from Clinton)
- On Time Out of Time by William Basinski (8/10 from Clinton)
- Gathered by Howe Gelb (7/10 from Clinton)
- Why Don't You Just by Bec Stevens (7/10 from Clinton)
- EP by Vital Idles (7/10 from Will)
- Be Content by Indoor Pets (6/10 from Clinton)
- Cast by Perfect Son (6/10 from Clinton)
Bestsellers this week
- Destroyer by Black Mountain
- Eton Alive by Sleaford Mods
- Horizzzons by Galerie Stratique
- Laughing Stock by Talk Talk
- Troublante Tournure by Bernard Grancher
- Where Comes The Dark? by The Slow Engineer
- Psychogeographic Audio Explorations Along the A303 Vol.1 by The Assembled Minds
- Solan Goose by Erland Cooper
- On Time Out of Time by William Basinski
- Sky Blue by Townes Van Zandt
- Live in London by Flight of The Conchords
- Side A / Side B by Jim O'Rourke & Not Waving
- Wraith by Teeth Of The Sea
- Cyboogie by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
- Inferno by Robert Forster
- Ceremony (Version 2) by New Order
- Crushing by Julia Jacklin
- The Other Sides by Kate Bush
- Ceremony (Version 1) by New Order
- Beware of the Dogs by Stella Donnelly
- I Am Easy To Find by The National
- Only Human by KH
- Full Upon Her Burning Lips by Earth
- Feeling Fades by The Murder Capital
- Live At Roadburn by Minami Deutsch & Damo Suzuki
- Here Comes The Cowboy by Mac DeMarco
- V.A 4 by Monomorph / Brainwaltzera / The Jaffa Kid / SSIEGE / Rawmance
- So Much Better by Carla dal Forno
- Are You A Dreamer? by Death and Vanilla
- Four Bibles by Hey Colossus
- Father Of The Bride by Vampire Weekend
- As We Make Our Way (The Live Recordings) by Sophia
- Fixed Water by Sophia
- Bend Sinister / The 'Domesday' Pay-Off Triad-Plus! by The Fall
- Designer by Aldous Harding
- On Tape by The Pooh Sticks
- Destroyer by Black Mountain
- The Infinite Circle by Sophia
- U.F.O.F. by Big Thief
- Pacific Breeze: Japanese City Pop, AOR & Boogie 1976-1986 by Various
And for all this week's records...
You know where to look: