Top headlines this week
There was genuine sadness this week with the news about Mark Hollis. There has always been some serious love for Talk Talk here at Norman Records, and it's impossible to overstate the influence they've had on some of our very favourite bands - from Hood to These New Puritans. His early retirement from making music will always provoke those haunting "what if?" thoughts, and even though he's barely put a note down since his utterly superb solo album in 2011 his pioneering, uncompromising presence will always be missed.
It seems a bit crass to wax lyrical about this week's new music, so we'll keep this weekend's recap brief and to-the-point:
- Forgive us for making an album out on our very own Public House Recordings our Album of the Week, but Horizzzons by Galerie Stratique is a true lost classic.
- Hot on the heels of Galerie Stratique in AOTW terms was the new one from Snapped Ankles. "Here to save our souls," said our new boy, Will.
- Dinked treated us to not one but two new editions this week. Those colour editions have both sold out now, of course, but there are still some regular copies of both the new Kevin Morby and the new (gasp!) Sebadoh.
- Top reissue this week? Kilohertz by Elektroids makes a very, very good claim.
- Top preorders? Impossible to choose, but if you order the new Big Thief then you might win a test pressing, and the last installment of the mammoth Kate Bush reissue campaign will doubtless be extremely popular.
Finally, it would be remiss of us not to mention that we've got a new member of staff in. His name is Will and he's an absolute demon when it comes to writing reviews. "The new Robin," as Clinton put it...and praise doesn't come much higher than that. Check out his prodigous output below.
Have a great weekend!
This week's reviews
- Kilohertz by Elecktroids (9/10 from Ant)
- GPS Poetics by Blood Music (8/10 from Will)
- Shamania by Marilyn Mazur (8/10 from Will)
- Where We Come From (CHICAGOxLONDON Mixtape) by Makaya McCraven (8/10 from Will)
- Wide Asleep by Sophie Hutchings (8/10 from Will)
- Ecopoiesis by Umwelt (8/10 from Ant)
- Austerity by Pessimist (8/10 from Ant)
- Thumb Dub by Jay Glass Dubs (8/10 from Ant)
- Devil’s Dance by Ossia (8/10 from Ant)
- Displacement by Nancy Drone (8/10 from Ant)
- Good Fuck by Good Fuck (8/10 from Will)
- Stunning Luxury by Snapped Ankles (8/10 from Will)
- Whoosh by The Stroppies (7/10 from Will)
- Yn Ol I Annwyn by Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (7/10 from Will)
- Good Fruit by TEEN (7/10 from Will)
- Inferno by Robert Forster (7/10 from Clinton)
- 3 x 4 by Various (The Bangles, The Three O’Clock, The Dream Syndicate and Rain Parade) (7/10 from Clinton)
- Jungle Run by Nubiyan Twist (7/10 from Will)
- Into The Iris by Flat Worms (7/10 from Will)
- Thread Of Gold by Hejira (6/10 from Will)
Bestsellers this week
- Horizzzons by Galerie Stratique
- Eton Alive by Sleaford Mods
- Act Surprised by Sebadoh
- Troublante Tournure by Bernard Grancher
- Where Comes The Dark? by The Slow Engineer
- Stunning Luxury by Snapped Ankles
- Oh My God by Kevin Morby
- Laughing Stock by Talk Talk
- Kankyō Ongaku: Japanese Ambient, Environmental & New Age Music 1980-1990 by Various
- Fond Reflections by Rema-Rema
- In The Capital by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
- Hollow Earth by Pye Corner Audio
- Solitude by King Midas Sound
- Spirit Of Eden by Talk Talk
- White Stuff by Royal Trux
- Nightscapes by D. Rothon
- Crushing by Julia Jacklin
- Tutti by Cosey Fanni Tutti
- South Of Reality by The Claypool Lennon Delirium
- Fyah by Theon Cross
Bestselling preorders this week
- Are You A Dreamer? by Death and Vanilla
- Bad Blood / Suburban Heights by Working Men's Club
- U.F.O.F. by Big Thief
- Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements (Expanded Edition) by Stereolab
- Mars Audiac Quintet (Expanded Edition) by Stereolab
- Wedding Album by John Lennon / Yoko Ono
- Designer by Aldous Harding
- Heart Attack by All We Are & Alex Kapranos
- Lux Prima by Karen O & Danger Mouse
- Warm Blood by The Beths
- Pre/Post: A Collection 2016-2018 by Girls In Synthesis
- Ribbons by Bibio
- This (Is What I Wanted To Tell You) by Lambchop
- On The Line by Jenny Lewis
- Henryk Górecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs) by Beth Gibbons & The Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
- The Other Sides by Kate Bush
- BBC Radiophonic Music by BBC Radiophonic Workshop
- It’s Real by Ex Hex
- Beware of the Dogs by Stella Donnelly
- To Believe by The Cinematic Orchestra
And for all this week's records...
You know where to look:
- Our usual Tuesday Update
- Our usual Weekly Update
- Our new in page
- Our preorders page
- Our restocks page.
Enjoy your weekend!