Weekly Update Viagra Boys, Autechre, Matt Berninger, Kevin Morby.
Memory Drawings, Psychedelic Porn Crumpets, Goldmund, Concretism, Pixies, Loscil, Cloud Nothings, Eartheater, Clutch, Sigur Ros, Mastodon, Yellow Swans, Surprise Chef, The Phoenix Foundation, El Michels Affair.
- Album of the Week. Untouchable IDM pair Autechre are number one this week with their latest of 4D electronix.
- We’re getting a colour exclusive in from Memory Drawings, the post-rock group featuring members of Hood, Brave Timbers & Tangents.
- New albums are on the horizon from Psychedelic Porn Crumpets, Viagra Boys, Com Truise & Cloud Nothings.
- Weekly Playlist. New week, a new staff curated bunch of tunes on Spotify & YouTube.
- Pixies release a new single, complete with a T Rex cover on the flip.
- 12-tracks of abstract, jazzy hip hop from rapper & comedian Open Mike Eagle.
- We’ve got a pair of live-stream gig tickets to give to a pair of customers who order the Kevin Morby record before midnight.
- The National’s Matt Berninger’s debut solo record features contributions from Andrew Bird, Matt Barrick, Booker T. Jones, Gail Ann Dorsey & more.
- There’s less than a handful of The Phoenix Foundation Dinked Edition’s left. Includes alternate sleeve art & two flexi-discs.
- Kiko Dinucci’s virtuoso guitar playing & left-field take on samba, MBP & other Brazilain delights impressed one of our reviewers.
- DEUTSCHE ELEKTRONISCHE MUSIK 4. Six sides worth of German rock & electronic delights.
- Gruff metallers Mastodon collect B-sides, soundtrack work & covers into one handy set.
- Kiwi noise rockers The Dead C are back with a bang.
- Snowdrops. The French chamber duo featuring Mathieu Gabry & Christine Ott release their debut.
- Experimental songwriter Eartheater’s new record eschews electronics in favour of warped folk.
- Surprise Chef. Super chill, soulful, jazzy funk from the Australian fusion group.
- Touché Amoré hired ‘The Godfather Of Nu-Metal’ to produce this one, thankfully it resulted in one of the post-hardcore group’s best to date.
- Goldmund follows his recent reissue series with a new album of serene, piano-led ambient pieces.
- Phillipine born, London based songwriter Beabadoobee’s debut is packed full of slacker rock anthems.
- Beverly Glenn-Copeland. Collecting songs & unreleased tracks with a bonus 7’’.
- Helena Deland. Debut record from a songwriter who’s toured with Weyes Blood, Connan Mockasin & Iggy Pop.
- The Damned. Fresh 4-track EP from a group who had the first UK punk single out.
- Anton Newcombe’s buddies The Limiñanas write some new tracks & get remixed by Unloved.
- Nottingham neo-psych/indie outfit Six By Seven compile a bunch of cuts from a prolific period.
- Spacegrass at the ready, as Clutch’s stoner rock favourite lands on clear wax.
- Sigur Rós. You know, the one with the tune that was on Planet Earth.
- KMD. Wacky rhymes meet jazzy beats on this early cut of MF DOOM’s first hip hop crew.
- Yellow Swans turn industrial noise into gorgeous & sweeping psychedelic vistas here.
- Light In The Attic plunder private press new age delights in the stunning box set comp I Am The Center.
- Up from the 37 Chambers, it’s the El Michels Affair. Deep-funk Wu-Tang reversions.
- Chet Baker sings. The balladeering vocal jazz favourite is back on the shelves.
- The ever-relaxed jazz fusion pianist Alfa Mist collaborated with vocalist Emmavie for this one.
- La Locura de Machuca 1975-1980. Plunderings from the Discos Machuca label which specialised in African psychedelia.
- Loscil’s icy ambient favourite includes new artwork & a bonus track.
- Mercury nominated Brighton indie group Porridge Radio’s shed recorded debut is back by demand.
- Sun Ra & His Outer Space Arkestra. ‘Alright Lucifer, fancy a cuppa tea & a garibaldi?’
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Delicate, introspective ambient LP from Christopher Bissonnette on 12k.
- Concretism soundtracks dystopian animated series 'Dick and Stewart'.
- Oliver Coates and his cello turn to the darkside.
- Ace, genre eluding Shamos mini LP on YOUTH.
- Italian ambient composer Emanuele Errante takes us on a journey to halcyon days gone by. Gorgeous edition of 150 copies on Fluid Audio.
- LP of audio from an epic Kangding Ray audio/visual installation exploring effects of light and sound on perception.
- Mind imploding 10CD box set from Japanese noise mutants The Gerogerigegege.
- Cassette EP from Material Loss aka half of power electronics/noise duo Soft Issues (Opal tapes). Somewhere between Pan Sonic and William Basinski.
- Subtly effective, emotionally charged LP from Vanity Productions on Posh Isolation.
- Deliciously gloomy/eerie new work from ultra mysterious Swedish entity Civilistjävel!
- Fogged out, blurry, eroded techno haze tape from Kaspar Tosin.
- All eight life-affirming Maurizio 12”s back in stock!
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- NormanPoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Nathon, Phil, Daoud, Jamie, Will, Sam, Tom H., Ali & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...