Weekly Update Fiona Apple, METZ, Pye Corner Audio, Kamaal Williams.
Motorpsycho, Courtney Marie Andrews, Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist, Jessy Lanza, Jon Hassell, Les Big Byrd, Goat, Hood, Katy J Pearson, John Foxx, Sven Wunder, Guided By Voices.
- Pots & pans percussion, barking dogs & startling piano jazz-pop, Fiona Apple’s exceptional new album takes the cake for Album of the Week.
- METZ, Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist, Katy J Pearson & Motorpsycho are just a few of the biggies we’ve loaded up for pre-order recently.
- Weekly Playlist. New week, new tunes on Spotify & YouTube.
- Dinked. Tune into our socials at 11am tomorrow to find out who's next record is getting the deluxe vinyl treatment...
- Kamaal Williams. UK jazz talent & one half of Yusseff Kamaal is back with a new one.
- Here’s a 4-track EP from psych folk songwriter Devendra Banhart.
- Courtney Marie Andrews. ‘Old Flowers’ gets the Norman thumbs up.
- Autotelia. The best bits of 70s Germany & 80s British psych in one place.
- Dusty electronic psychedelic excursions on Castles In Space from clocolan.
- Limited colour vinyl from Leeds’ own power/indie pop group The Harriets.
- MOHIT have supported Ought & Omni but boast a sound more similar to your Broadcast’s.
- John Foxx and The Maths. Would the American version just be The Math?
- Al Chem. 12’’ EP of electronic yet soulful post-punk complete with remixes from Alexander Christou.
- Shirley Collins follows her comeback album ‘Lodestar’ with a work rivalling her 60s best.
- Iridescent dreamy shoegaze from Winter.
- Senyawa & Stephen O'Malley. Indonesian folk meets the earthquake drones of the Sunn O))) member.
- Ashtray Navigations. Gatefold LP with loadsa bonus CDs & liner notes from Henry Rollins.
- ‘Jazz Is Dead’. Bold declaration, bold team up between Blaxploitation scorer Adrian Younge & A Tribe Called Quest’s Ali Shaheed Muhammad.
- Hugely anticipated import vinyl for a classic Studio Ghibli film. The soundtrack, symphonic or image versions await.
- Jon Hassell. The ‘Fourth World Music’ & ambient pioneer is in his 80s & shows no sign of slowing down.
- Deluxe colour vinyl from Eiko Ishibashi featuring two longplaying parts.
- New Zealand underground staple Alastair Galbraith releases a new solo work.
- London post-punks Triple Negative are back with a new dose of avant-rock.
- Black Helium. Parliament are debating banning them next week.
- Indie rock, driven shoegaze & grungy pop meet on Sub Pop signees Bully’s latest.
- Fabiano do Nascimento. Virtuoso guitar sounds plucked straight from Brazil.
- 7’’ single of glammed up garage punk from Jacuzzi Boys on Third Man.
- Labour of love package from composer Mario Verandi on Time Released Sound.
- Les Big Byrd. Don’t eat that bloody bat...
- Sven Wunder. Like psych, instrumental hip hop, downtempo, library music & funk? Look no further than this excellent pair of records.
- Highly sought-after gems of PJ Harvey’s debut & the demos.
- Stoner doomsters Green Lung’s debut gets a repress with an A4 print.
- An early-ish Guided By Voices fan-favourite lands on colour vinyl.
- There’s a few left of those Hood reissues which re-arrived this week.
- Caroline Shaw / Attacca Quartet. First time on orange vinyl for ‘Orange’.
- Goat. Norman’s #1 is back on snazzy colour vinyl.
- Loads of extras are included in this McCarthy reissue.
- Black Fire. Oneness of Juju centric 5LP box set.
- Chapterhouse. 180g colour vinyl press up of ‘The Original Recordings’.
- I see you’ve played knifey Spoony before. The reissue saga begins with an indie group’s EP & their debut.
- Raw delta blues classic from the supremely influential Robert Johnson.
- Bob Marley & The Wailers. Picture disc version of the ever-popular best of comp.
- Mikey Dread. Radio shout-outs meet heavy roots dubs on Dread’s debut.
- Nina Simone. The one Nina said she wants people to remember her for.
- Thurston Moore’s second solo record lands back on colour vinyl.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Elegant hypnagogic techno from Pye Corner Audio w/ John Talabot remix.
- Jessy Lanza seamlessly integrates cutting edge electronica and raw, heartfelt pop.
- More Astral Disaster Sessions Un/finished Musics from that there Coil.
- OOBE droneworks from The Transcendence Orchestra aka Anthony Child and Dan Bean on Editions Mego.
- Good old fashioned naughty, sexy, sweaty jacking acid house and electro action from Hard Ton on Post Human’s Balkan Vinyl label. Limited edition of 303 copies.
- Expertly crafted, crisp, celestial electro nourishment from Cygnus.
- Nuel shifts out of deep techno mode for a one man band concept album on Apollo.
- Darkside electronix from Bernard Grancher on Castles In Space. Pressed on black & white splatter vinyl w/ 2 art prints.
- More copies of the killer The Exaltics & Heinrich Mueller (Gerald Donald of Dopplereffekt, Drexciya etc.) album on Solar One en route...
- NYC producer Kush Jones blurs the lines between Chicago House and Detroit Techno on a 12” of high-tech soul bumpers for Future Times.
- Whities re-brands as AD 93 with an EP from Anunaku & DJ Plead.
- Who doesn’t buzz off getting spooked by Konstantin Raudive’s EVP recordings?
- Dusky jazz infused mini-LP from SUED’s SW.
- Nicolas Bougaïeff has a PhD on minimal techno!
- Cold Waves of Color Volume 6 comp incl. Berserk In A Hayfield, Lives of Angels, Silicon Valley, Modern Art, Disintegrators, Echophase etc.
- Hanne Lippard creates sound poetry/social commentary/ASMR from digital texts.
- Previously unreleased works spanning 1979 to 2007 from Faust founding member Gunther Wüsthoff.
- Jon Hassell - the undisputed king of ambient trumpeting
- Pocket Signs tape aka Matt Cargill of splattered jazz noise fiends Sly & The Family Drone and modular synth botherer Dan Jones aka UKAEA.
- Pure class Detroit electro techno from Aux88 don K-1 (aka Keith Tucker).
- André Bratten reimagines Mayhem and Conrad Schnitzler's 'Silvester Anfang'.
- Prins Thomas getting trancey… arghhhhh….
- ++ + more from; Sapphire Slows on Nous, TBZ, Bas Grossfeldt, Street Kids, Overflow etc. +++
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Sam, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...