Weekly Update PJ Harvey, Rival Consoles, Erland Cooper, Lockdown Listening Feature.
Rian Treanor Interview, Regis, Blanck Mass, PINS, Baths, Mildlife, Romare, Slift, The Magnetic Fields, Macintosh Plus, Against All Logic, The Cool Greenhouse, Choir Boy, 65daysofstatic, Iggy Pop, Thee MVPs.
- Erland Cooper’s third & final record in the Orkney trilogy is our Album of the Week.
- PJ Harvey’s debut is getting reissued for the first time in 20 years! ‘Dry’ has been remastered by its original producer Head & is priced at £15.99.
- Don’t tell Dom Cummings, the second Lockdown Listening instalment is here!
- Interview. We chased up Sheffield electronic producer Rian Treanor for a chat on visual art & music.
- New albums from Rival Consoles, Romare, Kamaal Williams, Polypores & Mildlife have been announced.
- Weekly Playlist. Here’s this week’s dose of staff-selected tunes over on Spotify & YouTube.
- LCSM. Triple album of cosmic jazz from Likwid Continual Space Motion aka IG Culture.
- French songwriter Sebastien Tellier returns with more synth pop jams.
- Ruby Rushton member Tenderlonious takes on Tubby Hayes’ tunes.
- The final album from beloved rapper Mac Miller arrives on clear vinyl.
- The dancefloor primed project Against All Logic is arguably where you’ll find Nicolas Jaar’s best work. There’s an EP with Lydia Lunch & FKA twigs out too.
- Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson’s score to ‘Personal Effects’ lands through Deutsche Grammophon.
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard were on top form on their EU tour last year so we’re glad they’ve put it to wax.
- Leeds based garage psych noisemakers Thee MVPs unleash their debut.
- Castles In Space release a 50-track CD of lockdown penned tracks, with profits going to the Cavell Nurses’ Trust.
- Iggy Pop approved post-punk from North West based PINS.
- Slift’s new’un packs a powerful punch of heavy psych & krautrock.
- Ft. former & current members of Swans, Timco & more Enablers’ new single has 100 different sleeve variants.
- Dusty Bible & The Canadians record an intimate live show at Nottingham’s best venue JT Soar.
- The Magnetic Fields. 28-tracks of quickfire indie pop, 5 records, one box set.
- Can-man Irmin Schmidt performs an intimate set in Huddersfield.
- A couple of members of modern punks F**ked Up unite as Jade Hairpins.
- The Cool Greenhouse pairs poetry with synths & post-punk.
- BlackLab adds a flair of punk pace to the usual snails pace stoner metal sounds.
- Servo. If we could give an Album Art of the Week award, it would go to these proponents of nightmarish psych.
- King Creosote. One of Scotland’s finest songwriters returns with a weird & wonderful concept album.
- Following four ace albums of industrial tainted electronics, Blanck Mass unleashes his first soundtrack piece.
- Just a murderous monkey singing a couple of songs. What else did you expect from David Lynch & Jack Cruz?
- New single from vaporwave act Macintosh Plus on deluxe picture disc.
- Choir Boy. The indie pop group, not any of the other similarly named acts.
- International Teachers of Pop return for a second dose of dancefloor primed pop.
- Lady Gaga intends to reclaim the pop throne with her sixth record.
- Art pop star Christine and The Queens’ latest EP lands on limited crystal clear pink wax.
- Out-there experimental hip hop group Model Home release a retrospective.
- 65daysofstatic. Two for one in this colour reissue edition plus a bonus EP.
- Diamanda Galas. A good album to play whilst drawing pentagrams on the kitchen floor.
- Baths releases two collections of unreleased tracks which merge experimental pop with hip hop beats.
- Legendary debut from influential industrial group You've Got Foetus on Your Breath.
- The live & later works of Prince have landed.
- Two Tekken soundtracks are here to give you a nostalgia overload.
- Three in-demand classics of ambient from Motohiko Hamase get the reissue treatment.
- Iggy Pop’s first two classics & much more are loaded into this 7CD ‘Bowie Years’ box set.
- Initially a very limited tape release, Mndsgn & The Koreatown Oddity’s ‘Vivians’ finally lands on wax.
- Black Helium. For fans of the leaner & meaner psychedelic sect.
- If you don’t have a beard, use close pegs like Minty does here.
- More The Fall reissues for you this week. This time, ‘Interim’ re-lands on limited vinyl.
- Black metal legends Emperor reissue a 1994 on picture disc.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Whities go darker with splintered techno/electronix and dramatic, icy sound design from SØS Gunver Ryberg.
- African Zouk, Kuduro, Tarraxho and R&B hybrids from Nídia on Príncipe.
- Creepy, crawling, first Regis album in forever. Already sold out at source!
- Flying Lotus’ ‘Flamagra’ instrumentals complete with eyeball melting zoetrope slipmat and labels.
- Outstanding synth-pop from Mickey Van Seenus and Delroy Edwards as Earth To Mickey.
- Jonny Nash and Suzanne Kraft ivory tinkling heart breakers.
- Stroom unearth some ace ‘80s Dutch underground DIY post-punk/synth pop from Hessel Veldman.
- Sähkö unearth unheard zoviet*france: and Muslimgauze remixes of Panasonic!!!!!
- Prime EBM, darkwave and acid tackle from Interstellar Funk & Robert Valera.
- First-time vinyl edition of ye olde Abfahrt Hinwil Toytronic compilation.
- Gentle soothers on Music From Memory from Grizzly Bear stickman Christopher Bear as Fools.
- Party-tastic 6-track EP of leg tangling rave hybrids on Local Action from India Jordan.
- Fellow Japanese noise fiends rejoice! Masonna and Merzbow (in wooden box!) records on Urashima to blow yer brains out. Both editions of 199 copies.
- Transcendent, psychedelic techno on Knekelhuis from Patricia Kokett complete with amazing cover art.
- Avant-ambient clobber from Samuel Rohrer / Max Loderbauer / Stian Westerhus / Tobias Freund.
Notable pre-orders on the horizon:
- In demand uplifting house tune ‘Both of Us’ by Jayda G on wax soon come.
- Stephen Mallinder dub/funk/post-punk classico 'Pow-Wow' vinyl/CD.
- Pub all-time ambient electronica gem 'Do You Ever Regret Pantomime?' due to be rebooted on vinyl via Ampoule!
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...