Weekly Update Pavement, Chapterhouse, Once & Future Band, Flat Worms.
Squarepusher, Blood Orange, Sunwatchers, Josef K, Ulrich Schnauss, The Fall, Animal Collective, Kaffe Mathews, Savage Mansion, J Hus, Red Dead Redemption, Shrinebuilder, Maggi Payne.
- Album of the Week. Once & Future Band are back like the 70s never happened. A fun yet complex mix of psych, pop, art rock & prog on John Dwyer’s ever-reliable Castle Face label.
- Pavement are reissuing a couple of cuts from around their ‘Wowee Zowee’ era on a limited 7’’ vinyl which mirrors the speech bubble on the sleeve.
- Blood Orange takes his first foray into soundtracks.
- Flat Worms get Albini & Ty Segall behind the desk for their gnarly third LP.
- High octane dance-punk, synthpop & electro from husband & wife duo ADULT.
- 90 mins of ace live excursions from Baltimore neo-psychedelia greats Animal Collective.
- Grime, pop, Afrobeat & dancehall combine on J Hus ’ latest.
- Fourth album from Glaswegian indie rock songwriter Irma Vep.
- Four Tet latest album has arrived with us on wax.
- Limited-edition pink vinyl with CD on the ever-reliable Lost Map from indie group Savage Mansion.
- Sunwatchers. Complex yet fun marriage of prog, jazz-rock, psych & more.
- Unique old-time/old school country sounds from Pokey LaFarge.
- Red Dead Redemption 2. Rockstar are pushing the boundaries of video game soundtracks once again on this one.
- Noise rock, experimental rock & post-punk meet on Triple Negative’s latest.
- Glazed-eyed psychedelic beats from influential producer Clam Casino’s new’un.
- Caustic Wound. 80s style grind’n’ death. Dare I call them a supergroup?
- Hamilton Leithauser. The Walkmen frontman is back with his instantly recognisable voice.
- Classic debut from Reading shoegazers Chapterhouse on colour wax.
- Dead Prez. It’s bigger than hip, hop, hip, hop.
- Early electronic music from Mexan synth obsessive Tito.
- Two reissues in one courtesy of Portland folk songwriter Johanna Warren.
- Josef K’s solo album gets reissued on clear wax with a bonus LP of nine extra tracks.
- Kaytranada’s debut lands back on limited colour vinyl. One purple, one yella.
- Shrinebuilder. Stoner metal supergroup of the highest order. No pun intended.
- Probably the loudest album of its era. Highly sought-after & influential cut of heavy psych from Randy Holden.
- Quelle Chris reissues his first collab with Chris Keys ahead of their upcoming new LP.
- Salford post-punks The Fall reissue a couple of live records.
- Maggi Payne re-releases two cuts of intriguing experimental music.
- This record from Hugar will probably appeal to A Wing Victory & Sigur Ros fans.
- Cosmic jazz exponent Sun Ra gets his 60th (!!) reissued.
- Imaginary Softwoods. The man behind Emeralds (& many more projects) reissues a collection.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Blissed ambient inner/outer space explorations on Astral Industries from LF58 aka Neel (Voices from the Lake) and Filippo Scorcucchi.
- Stellar ‘Join The Future - UK Bleep & Bass 1988-91’ compilation. All time CLASSIC foundation sounds from Unique 3, Nexus 21, Tuff Little Unit, Cabaret Voltaire, Ital Rockers, Nightmares On Wax, Original Clique etc.
- Contemplative rave rush victory lap EP from the mighty Squarepusher.
- Kaffe Matthews migrates sonics over self constructed borders on Objects Limited, via two longform drone works.
- Daniel McCagh digitally manipulates acoustic sounds to create gauzy walls of sound, conjuring images of a dystopian future.
- Ritual music to exorcise women of mysterious evil caused by a spider bite. Tarantismo: Odyssey of an Italian Ritual 2LP + book set. Incl. reworks from Don't DJ, Bottin, LNS, Bjorn Torske & Trym Søvdsnes, KMRU, Uffe.
- Cluster / Harmonia guv'nor Roedelius Tape Archive compilation distilled into an easily digestible single disc. Plus he’s knocked out another Selbstportrait.
- Cosmic, outernational sounds from Becker & Mukai.
- Ulrich Schnauss shoegazing electronica back catalogue remastered and reissued.
- Vladislav Delay's stone-cold annihilator 'Rakka' has been re-pressed.
- Classic ‘80s inspired synth-pop on Suction sublabel Ice Machine from Analytica aka Memorex and Gabe Knox.
- Techno/ambient collision on Motion ward from Exael & Arad Acid.
- Lost early ‘90s tracks from Atonal. Reminiscent of very early Black Dog, Balil, B12, Aphex Twin, Kirk Degiorgio, Stasis etc. Ace vintage UK techno/AI style electronica.
- Sci-fi ambient brain balm from Square Fauna aka Dices & Flaty on Firecracker.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...