Weekly Update Pigs Pigs Pigs, Yves Tumor, Thundercat, Warm Digits.
Best Music Documentaries Feature, Luomo, Sun Araw, Anna Burch, The Lovely Eggs, Ringo Deathstarr, Sepultura, Nightmares on Wax, Nurse With Wound, Bernard Parmegiani, Purity Ring.
- Our two Albums of the Week are from very different sides of the psychedelic coin. Pigs Pigs Pigs latest is a corker of heavy psych riffing, whilst Yves Tumor’s experimental take on pop is gloriously original.
- Feature. We’ve compiled our favourite music documentaries to stream in the UK into one handy article for you.
- Competition. Order the new Thundercat album by midnight to win one of five test pressings of the LP! All previous pre-orders still stand.
- Nils Frahm’s ‘All Encores’ jumps from CD to wax for the first time in celebration of Piano Day.
- We’ve landed an exclusive tape of eclectic instrumental group Maserati’s latest alongside the usual colour editions.
- Shoegaze/dream pop influenced electropop group Purity Ring return.
- Everything Is Recorded’s latest concept album delves into the highs & lows of a night out through a star-studded song-cycle.
- V. Boys. The grizzled Swedish post-punks show us their introspective side alongside a hedonistic banger.
- Nathan Fake returns with his home listening friendly take on club music.
- Psychedelic shoegazers Ringo Deathstarr return with more weighty jams.
- Greater Manchester producer Mr Scruff shows us his eclectic side with a 31-track DJ Kicks mix.
- Warm Digits. Colourful psych-kraut-pop with a load of guests from the Newcastle group.
- It did well for Lizzo, so Born Ruffians are back with some Juice.
- James Elkington recorded his second LP with Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy.
- Eclectic experimental rock from Russian newcomers Square Fauna.
- Mike Patton & Australian composer Anthony Pateras are back as tētēma for their second collab.
- The Lovely Eggs are back to cheer us up in these bizarre times.
- Sun Araw adds vintage synths to his dubby space rock sound.
- Peel Dream Magazine. Motorik indie-psych-electronica from the New York group.
- TOPS of the pops. Amazing vinyl colour on this one…
- Indie rock inspired singer-songwriter Anna Burch is back with her second.
- A hip hop record inspired by the Canterbury scene & art rock? It can only be Wilma Archer!
- Here’s the thing… Energetic post-punk debut from Sports Team.
- Grab a slice of dance-punk from the Midlands or just Do Nothing instead.
- Enter the Strange Boutique of The Monochrome Set with these two limited-edition reissues.
- Basil Kirchin. Our third favourite Basil behind Fawlty & Brush. The fourth is the ‘erb.
- A grizzly thrash classic from Sepultura gets reissued & expanded.
- The Skatalites. I wonder what genre these fall into?
- Penya’s debut gets repressed.
- Whitey’s first record celebrates its 15th birthday.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Eternal classic, deep crystalline house from Luomo aka Vladislav Delay remastered.
- Echium LP on sferic melting together shimmering dub techno and intricate, futuristic ambient. Kinda like Space Africa meets Exael.
- Super duper Recollections GRM LPs from don dada Bernard Parmegiani and Bernard Fort getting busy with the fractals.
- The Tapeworm unearth some curious post-punk kosmishe synth twiddlings from The Pathfinders circa 1980-81.
- Chill CD of dubby techno/house from Mike Mangino of Smersh on iDEAL.
- Superb, original, droning minimalism from on Hallow Ground from FUJI||||||||||TA and his self built pipe organ.
- Mega posh tokers treat 25th anniversary edition of Nightmares On Wax 'Smokers Delight'. Useful if you roached up your OG copy.
- Farwarmth heavily processes sounds of cello, flute and accordion into fresh, emotionally resonant new forms. CD on Plant Mu.
- Nurse With Wound 1994 surreal head nodder 'Rock 'n Roll Station' back on 2LP. Limited one-off pressing with letterpress cover and a bonus track.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...