Weekly Update Rowland S. Howard, Bicep, The Orb, Daniel Avery & Alessandro Cortini.
Sufjan Stevens & Lowell Brams, The Chats, Polytechnic Youth records, Slift, Little Dragon, John Frusciante, Sugar, Sorry, Pearl Jam, Molchat Doma, Cranes, Bon Iver, Miles Davis.
- Album of the Week. We’re going for a reissue this week as it’s a favourite of several of our staff members & it’s been sought-after for decades. It can only be Rowland S. Howard!
- Northern Irish dance duo Bicep have unleashed a corker of a new single.
- Check out our staff-picked Weekly Playlist on Spotify & Youtube.
- Sufjan Stevens & Lowell Brams. New age, ambient & electronic album from Soof & his stepdad.
- Catchy electro-pop group Little Dragon are back with fresh album on Ninja Tune.
- Super-fun garage punk from Aussie group The Chats.
- Knxwledge. Instrumental hip hop cuts for fans of Prefuse 73 & Dilla.
- Indie rock songwriter Waxahatchee returns.
- Sleaford Mods associate John Paul makes a welcome return.
- Fresh album from 77-year old soul legend Swamp Dogg.
- French Slift unleash a record of fast-paced, krauty space rock. FFO: Oh Sees, Fuzz, Colour Haze.
- If you like Slift, you may also like Perhaps’ latest!
- Fresh CD from avant-garde jazzers The Necks.
- Eclectic, exotic noise rock courtesy of Swiss heavies Massicot.
- Fierce, distortion heavy rawk from Cable Ties.
- JARV IS. Mr. Cocker loves his house music now.
- Following a shedload of acclaimed singles, UK post-punks Sorry issue their anticipated debut.
- Coriky. New group featuring two Fugazi members & Amy Farina.
- Warbly Seattle rockers Pearl Jam are back with their first in yonks.
- Get your FACS straight. Ace meeting of post-punk, indie & post-rock right here.
- Two new’uns on UK independent psych label Fruits deMer from The Lost Stoned Pandas & Mark McDowell. They’ve also got a 4CD set of 60s psychedelia out.
- Emma-Jean Thackray launches her new label with a fresh EP which is an eclectic, jazzy affair.
- The Lovely Eggs latest single lands on ‘snot green’ vinyl. Lovely.
- In Lewsburg’s house, they worship the Velvets & Pavement.
- Indie rockers Nap Eyes pay tribute to Eric Cartman’s Christian rock group on their latest.
- Lilly Hiatt’s colour-your-own cover should keep you occupied indoors.
- Singer-songwriter Margaret Glaspy has some songs of Devotion for you.
- Debut album from Serbian born indie songwriter Dana Gavanski.
- Rowland S. Howard’s ace ‘Pop Crimes’ has also been reissued on colour wax this week.
- Ace psychedelic art rock reissue from John Frusciante. One of his best right here.
- There’s been a tonne of great shoegaze reissues recently. Cranes are here to continue that tradition.
- Upbeat, powerful & melodic tunes from Bob Mould & Sugar. We’ve got loads to pick from here.
- Belarusian post-punk/synthpoppers Molchat Doma get the vinyl treatment for a couple of their records.
- Good news for Robert Forster fans, as he’s reissued a couple of fan-favourites.
- Mono’s latest album of dark post-rock gets a repress.
- Here’s one for the stoner rock fans; a Fu Manchu classic on colour wax with a bonus single.
- De La Soul. Star-studded album from the alternative hip hop legends.
- Minimalist saxophonist Colin Stetson reissues his third alongside a new soundtrack.
- Boom! Here’s a classic 60s garage rock record from The Sonics.
- UK producer/musician Tom Misch reissues his debut beat tape ahead of his upcoming Yussef Dayes collab.
- Kanye West changed the landscape of hip hop forever on this one, for the better or worse...
- Dub fans will be interested in this one from Lee Perry feat. Mad Professor / Douggie Digital / Juggler.
- You Waxahatchee fans must be having a good week ayy? Katie reissues a couple.
- Bon Iver reissues an early EP on colour wax no less.
- Highly original darkwave, industrial, noise, metal & whatnot from Lingua Ignota.
- A The Raincoats Peel Sessions lands back on wax(ed lemons).
- Here’s a jazz-fusion/rock classic from Miles Davis.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Emotionally weighty, time dissolving album from Daniel Avery & Alessandro Cortini.
- A peek inside the teenage bedroom studio of NYZ unearths some proto-techno/hardcore/rave gems.
- Roll The Dice collaborations with Alessandro Cortini, Sophia Loizou, Glasser, Pär Grindvik, Goran Kafjes and El Perro del Mar incl. six ace art prints.
- Cosmic disco/krautrock flavoured 7" from Dream Division and minimal synth LP from Oxykitten on Polytechnic Youth.
- Sci-fi novel inspired minimal electronica meets UK Funky derived rhythms from Primitive World on Not Waving’s Ecstatic label.
- Lake District inspired hauntology from The Heartwood Institute & Panamint Manse.
- Pure, functional, banging utilitarian techno DJ tools from Sleeparchive on Tresor.
- Ghédalia Tazartès classic 1979 surreal sound collage mind twister 'Diasporas' newly remastered on Dais.
- Signature, heady synth drone minimalism 'Harmonic Twins' LP from Eleh.
- Electronic Sound magazine incl. a limited 7" from The Orb who also have a new album.
- Scored Alien Brains freaky frazzler 'Live At The Basement' CD aka Nigel Jacklin - the schoolboy that organized the Throbbing Gristle show at his Oundle school.
- D.Å.R.F.D.H.S. 'Förintelsen & Döden' deliciously bleak Opal Tape vinylized.
- Simon Fisher Turner and Edmund de Waa expand their installation work for ceramics into a full album of immersive sound art.
- Vinyl edition of Tod Dockstader's shortwave radio noise derived classic 'Aerial 1'.
- Jacaszek does ‘Music for Film’ on Ghostly, plus a first-time vinyl edition of 2009 spooker 'Pentral'.
- Deluxe 3LP box set collecting rare ritual industrial works from Zero Kama.
- Hallucinatory voices emerge from Giulio Aldinucci's majestic soundscapes.
- Peripheral Minimal CD reissue of the ultra-rare Attrition / Alu 1993 IRRE Tapes cassette. Pure class.
- Crisp electro(nica) from Annie Hall on CPU.
- 3CD compilation of Danny Hyde’s (Coil/Electric Sewer Age) work as Aural Rage.
- Reissues of critically acclaimed new age melters from Peter Davison and Iasos.
- Bluuuuuuuury house from Matt Karmil.
- port-royal's post-rock ambient hybrid 'Flares' comes back around.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...