Weekly Update The Heads, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, Porridge Radio, Military Genius.
Stephen O'Malley, Thee MVPs, Dungeon Rap, Shabaka & The Ancestors, Horse Lords, Porches, Deap Lips, Early Day Miners, Hilary Woods, Lorelle Meets The Obsolete.
- We’ve awarded our Album of the Week to Crack Cloud member Military Genius & his eclectic debut of industrial-heavy jams.
- We’ve loved their singles in the past & now poetic post-punks The Cool Greenhouse are getting Dinked! Their debut lands on clear wax with a signed postcard & two exclusive tracks. Leeds’ psychedelic garage rockers Thee MVPs are getting the deluxe Dinked treatment too.
- Former Norman Album of the Year winner Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith has just announced a new album!
- Check out our staff-picked Weekly Playlist on Spotify & Youtube.
- Brighton’s finest post-punk/indie group Porridge Radio unleash their debut.
- We’re down to the last handful of copies of live archival cuts from Bristol psych legends The Heads.
- Horse Lords. Fiddly, taut experimental rock with influences from all over the world.
- The Relations. Ghostly electronic-tainted psych folk on Castles In Space.
- Mitski & Dev Hynes join Porches on their latest album of synth-heavy indie pop.
- Deap Lips. Glam-psych-garage rock meeting of the minds aka Flaming Lips & Deap Vally.
- Lorelle Meets The Obsolete release two new tracks & two remixes from CC Crain & Pye Corner Audio.
- Sunn O)))’s Stephen O'Malley’s latest live record has been heavily inspired by black metal iconography.
- Fresh album from Ultraísta featuring Radiohead’s ‘6th member’ Nigel Godrich.
- Slum Of Legs. Heavy noise pop from Brighton.
- YMO main man turned classical composer Ryuichi Sakamoto scores the soundtrack to ‘Proxima’.
- Bespoke & jazzy classical from Joyfultalk.
- Minneapolis’ Black Market Brass have an undying thirst for funk & Afrobeat.
- Shabaka & The Ancestors. The sax player behind Sons of Kemet heads to South Africa for some tasty spiritual jazz.
- Talk Talk inspired post-rock jams from Chicago’s Zelienople.
- Human Impact feature members of Swans, Xiu Xiu & Unsane so you just know it's going to be a serene one...
- Roc Marciano. Felony fables & East Coast style beats for fans of Raekwon/Wu-Tang.
- Instrumental live report via Swedish psychedelia group Dungen.
- Germany’s Montevale return with an album of rich post-classical sounds on oscarson.
- Limited one-time vinyl pressing from soundtrack lord Roy Budd.
- Seminal gothic post-punk discography comp courtesy of Japan’s OXZ.
- 20th anniversary reissue of Early Day Miners’ debut of slowcore & post-rock.
- ‘Twin Peaks’ style jazz excursions from Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble.
- Because who wouldn’t want the zoomed-in faces of Tears For Fears on a big vinyl disc?
- Optic Nerve reissue two singles on colour wax from The Revolving Paint Dream & The Vaselines.
- Beat Happening’s baritone-voiced boy Calvin Johnson reissues ‘What Was Me?’ (Act like a wasteman.)
- Two ace slices of psychedelic folk courtesy of Espers.
- Uzelli Elektro Saz. Compilation observing the music of Turkish immigrants in Germany.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- The Four Tet album has landed. CD only, with a slight delay on the vinyl edition due to a manufacturing hiccup.
- Incredible Bernard Parmegiani 12CD box set. Features 12+ hours of pioneering, mind-blowing sonics. 2020 repress with reworked artwork.
- A most tranquil, timely mind lozenge from The Chi Factory on Astral Industries.
- Nazar relays the horror of the Angolan civil war via his “Rough Kuduro” sound on Hyperdub.
- Supreme scone scramblers from the big man Container on Alter.
- Killer 'Cache 01' comp on Shanghai's SVBKVLT incl. Tzusing & Hodge, Gooooose, 33EMYBW, Gabber Modus Operandi, Zaliva-D etc.
- Couple of lush Nurse With Wound mini CD and book sets on Lenka Lente.
- Ace 'Dungeon Rap' 10" on Natural Sciences incl. DJ Armok, Pillbox and DJ Bishop.
- Electric Indigo digitally transforms recordings of metallic objects on Editions Mego.
- Italian ambient fellow Gigi Masin lands on Apollo with an album inspired by the mythical Greek island of Ogygi.
- Retrospective from Alessandro Pizzin - founding member of Ruins/Wind Project.
- Industrial ambient fire from Metal Preyers on Nyege Nyege Tapes.
- Healing music based on traditional Cretan folk songs from Venus Volcanism on Optimo Music.
- Playful Library music from Cosmic Neighbourhood on Kit Records.
- Scored more copies of the Éliane Radigue ‘Œuvres électroniques’ 14CD whopper.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...