Weekly Update Pictish Trail, Modern Studies, Grimes, King Krule, Agnes Obel.
Courtney Barnett, Guided By Voices, The Aliens, Helicon, Jan St. Werner, King Gizzard, Jonas Munk, Best Coast, BBNG, Lightning Bolt, Wild Billy Childish.
- Album of the Week. Pictish Trail’s latest is a hugely enjoyable record of ear-worm choruses, psych-tinted folk & electronic excursions. Fans of The Beta Band, Gruff Rhys & Grandaddy will dig this!
- Dinked have announced that krautrock influenced folkies Modern Studies are getting the deluxe vinyl treatment. Grab their latest on limited starburst vinyl & check out our Dinked Playlist.
- Today is your final chance to win rare test pressings of the latest Grimes & King Krule albums. Simply order a copy before midnight to be entered. Krule has even signed his!
- RVNG Intl. & Related Labels Reductions. Fans of experimental, electronic, ambient & left-field psych rejoice.
- Our Weekly Playlists have arrived over on Spotify & Youtube.
- The few limited & sought after Dinked edition of Douglas Dare’s latest are here. Grab one before they go!
- Karkhana. Ace Middle Eastern jazz supergroup on Unrock.
- Courtney Barnett unplugs & performs on home soil for MTV’s famed acoustic series.
- Seminal lo-fi slackers Guided By Voices reach their 30th album.
- Formed from the ashes of The Beta Band, The Aliens unleash a limited colour double live album.
- Tripped out space rock from Swedish group Domboshawa on Drone Rock Records.
- Lingua Ignota & members of Full of Hell & The Body are Sightless Pit. You know this is gonna be a heavy one.
- Wrekmeister Harmonies’ latest of widescreen drone doom & gloom tackles sleep paralysis.
- Lee Ranaldo + Raül Refree. The Sonic Youth axe man teams up with the Spanish composer.
- Causa Sui member Jonas Munk trades the fuzz-heavy psych for serene ambient.
- East Kilbrade’s Helicon return with their brand of heavy & exotic raga psych.
- Agnes Obel marries ornate modern classical with indie folk on her latest.
- Light In The Attic’s cover series returns with BADBADNOTGOOD covering a Majestics classic.
- Best Coast’s take on indie pop screams Californian summers.
- Hardcore punk, noise rock, black metal & post-punk unite on thanks to NY punks Raspberry Bulbs.
- C90. Hefty 3CD compilation of 90s indie, psych, shoegaze & dream pop from Cherry Red.
- 12-string guitar led roots rock, psych, country & folk from The Hanging Stars.
- The Two Popes. The National’s Bryce Dessner turns his attention to soundtracks.
- The 1975 won’t be using shrink-wrap to package their plastic-based records for environmental reasons.
- Heads or tails? Scotch indie outfit Spinning Coin return with their second.
- Village Of The Sun recruit former AotW winner Moses Boyd & Binker Goldman on their new 12’’.
- Prolific bluesy garage rocker Wild Billy Childish returns with his Chatham Singers.
- King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard’s boogie rock inspired 2019 album gets repressed on colour wax.
- Hazy & colourful mash-up of art pop & synth-pop from Japan’s Masumi Hara.
- The Angelic Process. Imagine Sunn O))) crossed with My Bloody Valentine & you may get this drone/metal classic.
- Thrill Jockey unleash more colour vinyl reissues of Lightning Bolt favourites.
- 10 year anniversary of songwriter Blake Mills’ debut.
- Optic Nerve reissue two indie pop classics on colour 7’’ by The Primitives & Even As We Speak.
- Welsh indie poppers Los Campesinos celebrate a decade of boring romances.
- John Frusciante’s ‘Curtains’ lands on black wax. He’s just announced a reissue of ‘The Empyrean’ too.
- Proper fiddly prog metal from Animals As Leaders.
- Steve Albini remasters a Silkworm fan favourite. Includes a bonus CD.
- Electronic/ambient pioneers Tangerine Dream released some influential soundtracks in their time too.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
Ant has selected a fine platter of electronic delights for y’all.
- Wild LP on Editions Mego from Mouse on Mars' Jan St. Werner and Mark E. Smith.
- RX-101 in Caustic Window/AFX/Rephlex mode on Suction.
- Second Circle compile an EP of trax spanning ‘92-93 from Sandoz aka Richard H. Kirk. Quality house/techno originally issued on his own Intone label.
- 2LP on Gentrified Underground "tackling the sonic fiction & afrofuturism of Drexciya" incl. XOR Gate, Exaltics, Plant43, DJ Dijital etc. Comes with 56-page booklet with artwork from legendary Detroit/UR/Drexciya artist Abdul Qadim Haqq.
- "Popstar for the cyber resistance" Mhysa brings her smoked out, futuristic hip hop/R&B to Hyperdub.
- Jeff Mills on top, deepest form as Millsart with the 5th ‘Every Dog Has Its Day’.
- Strong electro/techno 12" EP from Dublin producer Minos on Don't Be Afraid incl. Claude Young remix.
- Vatican Shadow’s rare as hen’s winkies 'Opium Crop Airstrikes' tape vinylized.
- Electronic Sound issue 62 mag + limited edition Joe Meek 'I Hear a New World' 4-track 7" EP!!!
- Braindance flavoured LP from BOT1500, D'Arcangelo, Mause, Jessica Walrus, fxbip, Velum Break - √∆1.
- Killer from Christoph De Babalon & Wilted Woman as SUDS. 300 copies anno.
- Tristan Arp LP on Human Pitch. Includes remixes from Kelman Duran, Machine Woman, and Beta Librae.
- Davis / Zuydervelt / Fabriek 2CD on Fluid Audio in typically stunning package.
- Cosmic dub from Andrew Weatherall joined by Ride's Andy Bell. RIP Lord Sabre : (
- Italo disco eternal classic Mr Flagio 'Take A Chance' reissued on 7".
- Magnificent drone works from Tongues Of Mount Meru (Lasse Marhaug & Jon Wesseltoft) and second LP collab from Gareth Davis & Merzbow. Both editions of 300 copies on Moving Furniture.
- Darcy Baylis weaves together breakbeats, autotune, dancehall rhythms and ambient.
- Sprawling ambient 2LP from Multicast Dynamics on Astral Industries.
- Stripped back jack trax and electro from Shadow Child & Mark Archer on Super Rhythm Trax.
- Couple of Japanese import tapes of dubbed out clankers from YPY. 200 copies.
- Dark, minimal, futuristic, dystopian cold wave/electro LP from June on Mannequin.
- Mika Vainio's early industrial experiments '85-83 with Gagarin Kombinaatti back in.
- +++ Fred A. LP on Stroom, Priscilla Ermel LP on Music From Memory, Happa 12” on Whities, Sunil Sharpe 12" on Bpitch. +++
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...