- We’ve got two Albums of the Week today! Gil Scott-Heron’s now legendary swansong saw him update his soul poetics for the 21st century. Jazz drummer Makaya McCraven reworks the record to dazzling effect. All Makaya orders will gain an entry to win a heavy-card print!
- Competition. Order a copy of Moses Boyd’s upcoming album for the chance to win a rare white label.
- To celebrate those upcoming Cocteau Twins reissues, we’ve created a playlist of all things related to the dream pop legends.
- Our Weekly Playlist has landed on Spotify and Youtube for your listening pleasure.
- There’s a bunch of exciting records ready to pre-order now from Sufjan Stevens, a Pole box set, Ian William Craig, Warm Digits, Jehnny Beth, Gabe Knox & Cosmic Ground.
- Brecht Ameel’s moving yet relaxed score to ‘Ghost Tropic’ has landed.
- Banging synth pop jams from La Roux.
- Psychedelic southern soul partnership from Khruangbin & Leon Bridges.
- Singer-songwriter Alexandra Savior releases her second album of retro psych/chamber pop.
- Shopping. Upbeat post-punk-funk & new wave ft. Rachel Aggs of Sacred Paws & Trash Kit.
- Cindy Lee. Brooding & dark psych/noise pop from the former Women guitarist.
- There is no other but Isobel Campbell.
- This feature length documentary is a must-have for Robbie Basho fans.
- Limited-edition 7’’ single from rising UK indie lot Sports Team.
- Fresh album from popular alt. pop duo Oh Wonder.
- I’m not sure if the band name for indie slackers Scott & Charlene's Wedding is great or horrific…
- Post-rock meets screamo & shoegaze on Envy’s latest heavy-hitter.
- Eclectic post-punk & art rock from Dutch favourites The Homesick.
- Noise rock & psychedelic rock collide on Luminous Bodies’ latest record.
- A dizzying mix of post-punk, glam, art rock & more from rising group HMTLD.
- Hand-made & recycled CD package from Furrows via Courier records.
- Ásgeir’s latest has been issued in English & Icelandic languages.
- Elkhorn got snowed in & instead of whining about it they made an album instead!
- 7-track EP from grunge favourites Mudhoney.
- No New York. Definitive compilation of the no wave movement, produced by Brian Eno.
- Japanese ambient classic from Hiroshi Yoshimura.
- Legendary final album from soul poet Gil Scott-Heron on green & pink wax.
- Masahiro Ikumi’s score to iconic anime ‘Perfect Blue’ gets a repress.
- Crayon Fields forever. 60s inspired twee pop from the Australian group.
- Seminal slice of old school death metal from N2K2.
- Nottingham group Kogumaza release a heady cocktail of post, drone & psych rock.
- Tropicalia legends Os Mutantes re-release their second LP.
- Philadelphia group Bardo Pond shape an eclectic psychedelic brew.
- Singles collection of catchy twee, indie, jangle & power pop from The Springfields.
- Southern soul group Black Pumas get the deluxe vinyl treatment.
- From tape to LP, here’s some DIY bedroom psych from Soft Walls.
- A compilation from influential post-punks ESG lands on blue wax.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
- Elvin Brandhi (Yeah You) teams up with some of the Nyege Nyege crew for an explosive album as Villaelvin on Slikback's Hakuna Kulala label. Recommended!
- Music for Organ droners from NYC legend Phill Niblock.
- Perko returns to Numbers for a sparkling, immaculately produced second EP of Copenhagen inspired electro/drum & bass hybrids.
- Vicious rave punk from The Empire Line aka Jonas Rönnberg (Varg), Christian Stadsgaard (Damien Dubrovnik, co-founder of Posh Isolation) and Isak Hansen.
- Hauntology concerning mysterious happenings in a North Yorkshire village from The Soulless Party on Castles In Space
- Limited DEEP MEDi MUSIK white label of Dubkasm versions of Kahn's hallowed bass heatseeker 'Dread'.
- Important Records Deep listening action from Pauline Oliveros, Stuart Dempster, Panaotis, and a trance-inducing LP from Jessica Ekomane. Plus NYZ and NYZ / Eleh split LPs available to pre-order.
- Gloomy techno 2LP on Hospital Productions from Guilt Attendant.
- 300 copies L.I.E.S. white label feat. Mick Harris (Scorn, Fret, Lull), Parrish Smith and Overlook remixing Ron Morelli.
- Detroit influenced house from Steve Spacek. Tip for fans of Moodymann, Theo Parrish and Omar-S.
- Demented, skew-whiff second CP/BW LP from Beau Wanzer and Corporate Park.
- Nostalgic '80s sunshine vibes from Tapes on EM Records.
- Rugged, archival chi-town jack trax/acid house from Gene Hunt on Delroy Edwards' on L.A. Club Resource label.
- Ace 2LP of Detroit electro/techno funk from the legendary Aux88.
- Lucy reworks cuts from Donato Dozzy, Caterina Barbieri, Xhin and Ben Klock.
- Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith's ‘Music for Meditation and Yoga’ composed on Buchla music Easel is back in print.
- Delightful, maximallist, soothing polyrhythms from Asa Tone on Leaving Records.
- Donato Dozzy and Retina.it go minimal wave/icy synthpop as Men With Secrets.
- Logic1000 debut EP gets a full vinyl release. As spun by Four Tet, Caribou, Ben UFO, Floating Points, DJ Python, Anthony Naples etc.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Ant & Tom.
Work: Ian, Tom R., Nathon, Phil, Jamie, Will, Daoud, Ant, Tom H. & Fred.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...