- Album of the Week. Bat for Lashes returns to form with a synth-heavy concoction of heady 80s art pop. We’ve got a few signed by Natasha herself too!
- Grouper. Acclaimed ambient musician and Norman fave Liz Harris is reissuing two out of print albums!
- Richard Hawley is reissuing a whopping five albums on coloured vinyl!
- Weekly Playlist. A selection of bangers, new and old.
- Crypt Witch. Heavy psychedelia influenced by Spacemen 3, Black Sabbath and Electric Wizard on very limited-edition green wax.
- Bernard Grancher w/ Laetitia Sadier’s new single on Polytechnic Youth is a psych-synth corker! Includes a remix from kraut/electronica musician Gabe Knox.
- Alefa Madagascar. Various artists compilation of upbeat Sub-Saharan tunes.
- Odd Nosdam. Final few left of the exclusive clear vinyl! Once they’re gone, they’re gone...
- Kindness. Fresh, all-encompassing modern pop from the London singer.
- Iggy Pop. 19 albums in and he’s only just started to feel ‘Free’.
- Common was at his best when J Dilla was producing, so it’s good to see an unreleased beat of his surface here.
- Death. Live record of the definitive death metal act.
- Curses release a six track mini-album.
- Return To The Mothers' Garden. Sonic delights from the women musicians of Africa.
- Echo & The Bunnymen. Tonnes of Peel Sessions from their golden era.
- L'épée. French psychy garage rockers The Limiñanas collab with Anton Newcombe. Cool cover too!
- Adam Green. The Moldy Peaches member takes a journey to paradise on a horse.
- Lana Del Ray. We’ve got plenty more copies in of one of this year’s most acclaimed releases.
- Bananagun. Not to be confused with Banarama.
- Geoff Barrow & Ben Salisbury. Portishead fella and his frequent collaborator score a thriller series.
- My Life Story. First album in 19 years from the opulent UK indie group.
- Post-classical/ambient imprint Kitchen. Label unleash a fair few CDs.
- Lower Dens. First album in four years from the dreamy indie poppers.
- Girl In Red. On red vinyl of course!
- Kendra Amalie. Debut album on ace psych label Beyond Beyond is Beyond.
- Tinariwen. Fresh album from the famed Malian group.
- Steve Lacy. The Internet member releases his first solo record. Psych-R&B-soul jams for days!
- Miles Davis’ lost album sees the light of day.
- Astral TV. Danish label El Paraiso release some tasty prog-electronic.
- Ministry. An MP once called Ministry’s frontman a ‘Filth Pig’, hence the name.
- Asobi Seksu. Debut album from the Japanese shoegazers gets a repress.
- Scottish group Arab Strap reissue their debut.
- Fennesz. Live performance at the Jazz Cafe on limited-edition tape.
- Section 25. Huge box set from the forward-thinking Blackpool post-punks.
- The Pioneers. The reggae group reissue their second album.
- Buke and Gase. Quirky, tentative experimental indie.
- Stanley Turrentine’s ‘Hustlin’’ gets remastered and reissued. Classic Blue Note jazz!
- Stirling March invites you to a Bahamian boogie.
- Donald Byrd. More in Blue Note’s reissue series.
- Earthling Society aim for the skies.
- Throbbing Gristle. Two reissues; one classic studio album and one compilation.
- Repulsion. Grindcore on a grizzly picture disc. An essential of its genre!
- Louis Moholo Octet. Normanites rejoice! This rare LP of avant-jazz lands back on wax.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
Tech-spert Ant’s back with this week’s electronic news, including some tasty pre-orders an’all.
- Most welcome return for Rephlex stalwart Bochum Welt with a lush LP for CPU encompassing dreamy ambient and a wee splatter of acid and electro.
- Second volume in Tape Loop Orchestra's 'Interiors' series. Spectral ambient for empty spaces from The Boats lad Andrew Hargreaves.
- Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook Moog trippers Vols 7 + 8 now on wax.
- New Barker album lands on Ostgut Ton. Strong ‘E2-E4’ vibes on the title cut.
- Optimized UK techno debut from Conrad Pack. Self-released edition of 100.
- The Best Of Fad Gadget on silver wax. Worth it for ‘Back To Nature’ alone!
- Rough ass breaks/techno/rave mind fryers from Koehler on Don't DJ's Disk imprint.
- Unhinged '80s post-punk-tronix from Aktionskunst Gerasdorf aka Athletico Kunst Gerasdorf.
- Proper filth on L.I.E.S. with 12”s from PS + ISF (Parrish Smith and Interstellar Funk) and a damager from AN-i + Unhuman.
- Some whoppers available to pre-order including debut albums from Rrose and Giant Swan plus the first Deathprod album in 15 years, and a booter from Blawan.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Words: Tom and Ant
Work: Ian Love-less, Nathon, Phil, Benn, Jamie, Will and Daoud.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...
8/10 from Daoud