- Album of the Week. Each staff member loved this album for a completely different reason, a rare occurrence here at Norman!
- New Dinked! Aussie blues punks Tropical Fuck Storm get their second album on blue & yellow wax with a bonus single. FFO: The Gun Club, The Birthday Party & The Bad Seeds, Captain Beefheart, Protomartyr.
- Here’s our fresh Weekly Playlist for your eyes and ears.
New vinyl and CDs and tapes
- Brooding kosmische from White Manna.
- Fresh from her collaboration with Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy, Mariee Sioux returns with ‘Grief in Exile’.
- Vintage hip hop meets jazz here on Tenderlonious’ ‘Hard Rain’.
- Ebi Soda. Jazz funk septep from Brighton with an album armed with brilliant sleeve art.
- Melodic punks Titus Andronicus are back with a Bob Mould produced album.
- More music from the ever-prolific Stanley Brinks and The Wave Pictures.
- Rhythmical latin guitar pop courtesy of Divino Nino.
- Angry yet melodic, it can only be Band of Holy Joy.
- Psyched tinged garage rock from The Galileo 7.
- First material in 11 years from Graham Day & The Gaolers.
- Brighton post-punks Egyptian Blue unleash their debut EP.
- Hip hop three piece Injury Reserve release one of the year’s rap highlights.
- Hawkeyes. Psych on Cardinal Fuzz; you know what to do.
- The last in the Fruit Bats trilogy.
- Spoken word meets beautiful instrumentals on ‘Chanctonbury Rings’, the latest Ghost Box release.
- Doom ridden super-fast hardcore from Friendship.
- Experimental heavyweights Keiji Haino & Charles Hayward team up.
- Punk and post-punk from the outer realms of Manchester.
- Blue Note reissue a Lee Morgan classic.
- We want the funk, give us the funk; Parliament’s ‘Chocolate City’ is back on wax.
- Two for the price of one in this Baroness set.
- Avant-garde sounds from Freedom to Spend’s recent reissues series.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
Fresh from a rare in-store visit to pick up his record box, Ant’s back with a review of this week’s electronic happenings.
- Gorgeous book celebrating the life and work of Mika Vainio incl. CD of a previously unreleased Pan Sonic performance. Bittersweet.
- Dark, futuristic, dread filled, ten tonnes heavy sloth dub as Scorn reawakens!
- Deeply affecting Kevin Richard Martin (aka The Bug) audio document of the intensities surrounding the early days of his first child. Copies arriving soon!
- Official reissue of Mort Garson eternal classic 'Mother Earth's Plantasia'.
- Rafael Anton Irisarri’s densely layered and textured ambient depicts distress caused by environmental change and optimism in regrowth.
- Brian Dougans of FSOL returns with new acid trax as Humanoid!
- Demented, chucklesome madness as Editions Mego reissue an olde Ralph Records gem from Renaldo & The Loaf.
- Arresting collaboration from 9T Antiope & Siavash Amini juxtaposing harsh electronics and powerful vocals.
- His Name Is Alive archival teenage bedroom ambient tape loops. Erm... were these really recorded 1979 - 1986? Like, whoa.
- Metrist lands on Batu’s Timedance label with some disorientating lop-sided techno.
- D. Tiffany and uon's xpq? label follow that ace Ghostride The Drift EP with a proper scuzzy one from Exael.
- Sexy looking record from the vaults of DJ Guy on Unthank - reminiscent of the golden age of UK electronica.
- Introspective and interstellar debut album from John Shima on B12's FireScope Records.
- Dallas producer Textasy obliterating jungle, hip hop, ghetto tech, hardcore, breaks into a booty shaking dance masher of a debut full length.
- London Modular Alliance bring some electro heat once again on Kirk Degiorgio’s ART.
- Brunnen (of Beequeen) reworks and reimagines 1989 cassette recordings.
- Couple of vinyl reissues from Suicide geezer Martin Rev.
- Freedom To Spend exhume prime mid 80s DIY minimalism from Rimarimba. LPs now available individually.
- The Gentleman Losers 'Make We Here Our Camp Of Winter' has made its way onto wax. Edition of 200 silk-screened copies on heavyweight clear vinyl.
- The Death of Rave vinylize Service Animal (Vereker) / Crime Unit trax from Live Adult Entertainment. Full on tekno/acid ala Spiral Tribe, Drop Bass Network etc.
- Object Collection cosmic mayhem on Slip. Same folks that did that Fugazi opera.
- Reissue of Sora's 2003 album 'Re.sort. Jazz and bossa nova samples glitched into joyous geometries.
- +++ Radiante Pourpre LP on Antinote, Fred Ventura EP on Mannequin, Nicolas Bougaïeff EP on NovaMute. +++
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
We’ll see you lot on Tuesday, until then, bye for now x
Words: Tom, Ant.
Work: Nathon, Will, Phil, Benn, Tom, Ian, Jamie, and Daoud.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...