Here we go. Another week, another run-through the best and biggest releases of that week. What would you do without us? Don't even think about it.
New vinyl and CDs and tapes
- Vampire Weekend are back and are being as bloody clever/unbearable as ever.
- Big Thief’s fascinatingly strange take on folk inflected pop is near-essential.
- Flamingods make psyche music inspired by the world and other things.
- Tindersticks lowvoice Stuart A Staples with a soundtracky thing.
- Wiry West Yorkshire post-punkers Drahla sound like the Sonic Youth Bits Where Kim Gordon Sings.
- And for the young people there’s pop person Ariana Grande.
- Post-punk misery guts Editors allow Blanck Mass to show them some invention.
- Winning electronic pop from former Veronica Fall Patience.
- Barrie are as good at dream pop as they are at sending us chocolate.
- So many ‘worms’ about at the moment. Stockholm post punkers Viagra Boys give us street worms.
- Meditative jazz from clever clog Alfa Mist.
- We need to get on board with Versing and their charismatic alt rock.
- A Rainy Night in Georgia.
- Speaking of reign… there’s a new ‘un from Reigning Sound.
- Mancunian group Dead Sea Apes double down on the stoner chic.
- Once relentless anarcho punks Crass.
- A Certain Ratio release a 7LP or 4CD box of treats. That’s a lot of punk/funk.
- A big expanded Stereolab re-issue...and another big expanded Stereolab re-issue.
- The Rifles re-issue an album recorded in Paul Weller’s studio. Yikes!
- Lashings of Chris Carter. Sure Ant will mention them.
- Protomartyr re-issue their debut album originally a limited run on the Urinal Cake imprint. Mmmm...cake.
Ant’s Electronic Music Round-Up:
He settles down to listen to his music at about oooh 8.08 (rehash of last week’s ‘joke’)
- Richter scale imploding, dubwise techno demolition on L.I.E.S. from Fret aka Mick Harris (Scorn, Lull etc.) A total brain squisher - highest possible recommendation!
- Genre obliterating psychedelic swamp blues meets groovy primitive electro hypnotism on Davy Kehoe EP on Wah Wah Wino. Limited copies!
- Typically mesmerising rhythms on that there Don't DJ 2x12" on Honest Jon's.
- Masterful futuristic/sci-fi electro nutrition from the ever ace Cygnus on CPU.
- 50 Locked Grooves for disc jockey's from Joy O on Poly Kicks.
- LP from The Home Current traversing synth-pop, skittering electronica and beyond. 300 copies on pink wax via Castles In Space.
- Polypores & Field Lines Cartographer split a The Blow tape in half on Front & Follow.
- Ecstatic club trax from Nathan Micay fka Bwana.
- The return of Scots impeccable electro botherer The Wee DJs!
- Super trippy 2LP of mind twisting outernational polyrhythms and that from Georgia on Firecracker in lush screen-printed sleeve.
- Hallucinatory, warped, streetwise EP from Lukid on Arcola.
- Ultra-limited 12" EP on brokntoys incl. ARP220, Obergman, XY0815 & Int Main, The Jaffa Kid, Oskar Telemann.
- Couple of tidy EPs from FFT and Alex on The Trilogy Tapes.
- Hundebiss vinylize Kelman Duran's '1804 Kids'.
- Microtonally tuned feedback and drones from Mouse On Mars fellow Jan St. Werner.
- All the albums from the Chris Carter box set on Mute are now available individually :)
- Incapacitants and Masonna LPs on Urashima - proper ripping vintage Japanoise.
- JD Twitch optimised edits of Africa Seven.
- Valuable CD/LP reissue of Young Scientist's 1979 kosmische tape outta Seattle.
- Jeff Mills ‘The Director's Cut 2’ retrospective EP from the mighty Detroit Wizard.
- Alessandro Adriani's superb 'Montagne Trasparenti' LP reissued via his own Mannequin imprint.
- Acid tinged techno wrigglers from Lauren Flax on The Bunker New York.
- +++ Fort Romeau EP on Permanent Vacation, Gidge reissue 2LP on Atomnation, Tim Rutili LP on Dangerbird, Karamika 2LP on Offen Music, The Misz on Minimal Wave +++
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale to wade through.
Long weekend ahead. We’ll be closed from Friday 4.30pm all the way through to Tuesday morning, but of course our site is always operational...so don’t despair.
Words: Clint, Ant,
Work: Nathon, Will, Phil, Benn, Tom, Jamie and (Ian) Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...