- Album of the Week. Has to be.
- Limited 7” by The Fernweh up for pre-order.
- Like music? Here’s our latest Weekly Playlist.
Just checking…..yup it’s Thursday, which means it’s Update Time. We know that tens of you look forward to this every week. And boy do we have a good one for you this time. There’s news and reviews and failed jokes about all this week’s releases all in a big, inbox-friendly lump. Let’s take a look at what has been dragged up our cold grey stairs, shall we?
New vinyl and CDs and tapes
- Aged emo with 2 kids and a nice house in the suburbs from American Football.
- Lambchop and autotune go together like records and gravy.
- Lots of guitar fun from former Helium folks Ex Hex.
- Ibibio Sound Machine are a bit lively for a grey Thursday afternoon.
- Magnificently monikered Americana superstar Orville Peck.
- These New Puritans strive for great things.
- Avey Tare. Also known as Dave.
- Andrew Bird. For when there’s no Sufjan Stevens album in nearby proximity.
- Will Burns and Hannah Peel(s). Almost a description of a couple cooking together in the kitchen.
- Mary Lattimore & Mac Mcaughan. Harpist and Superchunk leader faff with harp ‘n’ electronics.
- They promised the world they’d never get back together but they lied. Sleeper are back.
- Heartfelt Arthur Russell-ish songcraft from Helado Negro.
- Connie Constance covers Paul Weller not West Ham.
- Ellis spend an awful long time working out a clever name. Less so on the music.
- Lil Yachty is right. He has nuthin’... literally nuthin’ to prove.
- 6 Music approved indie grunge from Lazy Day.
- USA/Mexico. I think the record player is bust.
- This Heat-ish experimentation from Housewives.
- Antoni Maiovvi. Hellish soundtrack from Italo disco expert.
- Wallows say nothing happens but Atlantic Records have put their album out and they’ve been Congleton’d so they are wrong!
- In 2018 Gyptology records promised the Shawty Pimp LP was a one off vinyl pressing and wouldn’t be re-pressed. They lied.
- Mansun. Nothing from Paul Draper’s adolescent notebook this time round.
- Iron & Wine muffles away behind his beard. Now comes with extra muffles.
- This The Fall barrel scraper has engendered some lively customer comment on how we should responsibly police the release schedule.
- Duster sound like they are a great 90s slowcore band I haven’t heard of.
- The Claim. Nice vinyl re-vamp for 80s’ mods.
Ant’s Electronic Round-Up
Raving on the shagpile.
- The Caretaker concludes the epic ‘Everywhere At The End Of Time’ series with a stunning finale that veers into Lynchian dreamworld realms.
- IVVVO returns to Rabit’s Halcyon Veil label with an album of hyperreal, hypermodern neon rave electronix and beyond.
- End of the world cruise around L.A. to blunted beats with Shlohmo.
- Irresistible album of solid minimal techno from Psyk on Tresor.
- Freedom To Spend revive a playful and quirky 1986 Japanese private press record from June Chikuma.
- Fine album from Mondkopf in harrowing ambient mode on Hands In The Dark.
- Jayda G lands on Ninja Tune with her debut album of soulful party funkers.
- ACC shine a light on NOVOSTJ / DsorDNE awesome post-punk electro circa 1983-1988.
- Laurel Halo knocks out a DJ-Kicks featuring an exclusive tune from her alongside Parris, Rrose, Group A, Ikonika, FIT Siegel etc.
- Tranquil vibes from MATstudio aka Jonny Nash & SK U KNO.
- We're now running low on Autechre jokes relating to Apparat's ‘LP5’.
- Primitive, old school Chicago house style trax from Delroy Edwards on L.I.E.S.
- Stripped back, melodic electronica tape from Minotaur Shock. Limited to 50 copies.
- Ace, murky Lakker album on R&S, further shedding their straight up techno roots.
- Suitably eerie Antoni Maiovvi soundtrack to Can Evrenol’s ‘Housewife’ horror flick.
- Bangin’ spacey techno double EP from Luke Slater as Planetary Assault Systems.
- Xeno & Oaklander bring their expertly crafted new wave analogue synth pop to Dais.
- Eliane Radigue's whopping 16 hour, 14CD box set drone out on INA GRM is back!
- Theo Parrish ‘Essential Selections’ Vols 1 & 2 re-pressed on Sound Signature.
- +++ 12”s from the likes of Levon Vincent on Novel Sound, S S S S on Haunter, Aril Brikha on Mule Musiq, ELLLL on Glacial Industries, Fear-E on Dixon Avenue Basement Jams, Objekt #4 re-press, Space Farm on Left Ear, D.K. on Antinote, Curt Cress on Music From Memory, DJ Nobu on No 'label', Justin Cudmore on The Bunker New York, Cold / James Bernard split on Stroom +++
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match. We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping. UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints. Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
- There’s always our Forever Sale.
Are the planes sniffing the building?
Words: Clint, Ant.
Work: Nathon, Will, Phil, Daoud, Tom, Jamie and I’m I(a)n Love With A German Film Star
Customer Compliment of the Week: “I look forward to the weekly email. It's the highlight of my week…” Lots more ego boosting words on that there Feefo. We’re getting mildly popular on Google Reviews too.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...