Weekly Update Kamaal Williams, Olan Mill, Teenage Fanclub, Elektroids, and more
It's the penultimate update before Christmas so the releases are slowing down, but we've still got record-shaped things from The Beta Band, Siouxsie, Berceuse Heroique and the Guttersnipe person - as well as a load of preorders to look forward to.
- Album of the Week…soothe yourself.
- Browse through lots of recent tasty preorders.
- Read the Quietus’ Reissues of the Year - in association with...us!
- And if you're feeling a bit bored, have a read of our latest Label Watch: a look-back over Drag City's finest releases down the years
- Christmas Vinyl Competition: spend £75 or more and you might win a free album every month next year.
- Vinyl Advent Calendar: 25% off randomly selected items ‘til the big day.
- You already know all about our Double NormanPoints for the festive season, yeah?
- And last but not least, check out the long lists for our Best Albums and Best Reissues of 2018.
As Christmas is getting perilously close now you may want to look at our Last Posting Dates. Get those orders placed before this weekend to guarantee delivery (of in-stock stuff at least). Here’s our Christmas Gift Guide, Classic Vinyl and our hand-chosen Essential Vinyl lists to get you started. And if you’re still stuck there’s always a Gift Voucher.
- Super Furry Animals weren’t just on S4C you know. They got themselves on the actual BBC.
- Feral punk noise à la Jesus Lizard from Nottingham’s Bloody Head.
- Alone In The Woods blend orchestral and hip-hop sounds.
- Trummor & Orgel. Stereolab covering sixties lounge pop about nails it, really.
- Controversial-but-weirdly-popular: Death In June.
- Bruce Springsteen is...as the song says...on Broadway.
- Easy jazz hop guy Kamaal Williams with a new 12”. Limited supply: buy now or face eternal regret.
- We’ve already had Dire Straits, now try Dire Wolves.
- Slowcore third-in-lines Idaho (after American Music Club and Red House Painters maybe).
- Death in Vegas. Listen to Liam Gallagher and Hope Sandoval on the very same album.
- Canny little jumper boys Teenage Fanclub and also Teenage Fanclub.
- Beastie Boys go to Phil’s Boutique.
- The Posies. Very lickable.
- The title of The Beta Band’s third album kind of summed up their career didn’t it?
- Oh what an Atmosphere.
- Vernon Elliot’s soundtrack to old-fashioned TV favourite The Clangers.
- Terry Bickers’ lot Levitation re-issue the rarities.
- Lashings and lashings of Siouxsie and The Banshees re-vamps.
- Michigan garage rock: Laughing Hyenas.
- Possibly the worst record ever to have arrived here at the Towers: The Top Of The Poppers David Bowie covers.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
Dave Noyze memory stick glistening atop the Christmas tree...
- Elecktroids 1995 ‘Elektroworld’ album on Warp finally reissued on vinyl via Clone Classic Cuts. Drexciya fiends rejoice!
- Ace 7” of glacial synthscapes from Vymethoxy Redspiders AKA Uroceras Gigas of Guttersnipe.
- Black Replica album finally released! Gerald Donald (Drexciya/Dopplereffekt) and mystery vocalist in a similar mode to those Zerkalo and Zwischenwelt records.
- Cracking 4-track EP of deep and groovin’ techno from Nuel on Midgar.
- More delicious ambient techno from Luke Slater's archives as A-TON issue more chronicles from The 7th Plain.
- Aguirre reissue some vaporwave gems from Sacred Tapestry and New Dreams Ltd. AKA Ramona Xavier (Vektroid, Macintosh Plus).
- Killer Berceuse Heroique triple whammy from Black Merlin, Mori Ra and Hodge.
- Tough dubbed out techno and beyond EP from Makaton and ethereal electronic/drone/dream pop LP from Veronica Maximova, both on VOITAX.
- Quality electro from Jensen Interceptor & Assembler Code on CPU.
- Classy ambient/drone works CD from Gri + Mosconi. Edition of 150 copies on Slowcraft.
- Also a solo disc from Francis M. Gri on Time Released Sound. Edition of 50 copies, each with unique artwork.
- Paper Dollhouse get their 2016 'Empty Rave' tape vinylized. 300 copies.
- Pulverizing power electronics/noise tape from Soft Issues. Check if you dig Consumer Electronics, early Prurient etc.
- More bass heavy club tackle from Miami’s Greg Beato on his Ni Un Pero label.
- Fabulous culture smudging album from Liberez on Alter.
- Elegant heartbreakers from Scandinavian Star on Posh Isolation.
- Mark Leckey 10" on Warp incl. Evian Christ remix. Limited edition of 500 copies.
- Eerie documentary soundtrack from Thomas Fehlmann on Kompakt.
- Sizzling DJ tool bangers from Discrete Circuit & Mark Broom.
- Wah Wah Wino re-release their 'Absolutely Wino' compilation as a comedy “Georgian Bootleg Edition”.
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match! We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping! UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints! Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
Big thanks to Phil from all your staff for the new bowls and spoons. We are utterly humbled.
Words: Clint, Ant.
Work: Benn, Nathon, Fred, Daoud, Phil and Ian Love is a Wonderful Colour.
Customer Compliment of the Week: “Pleasant, breezy and professional”. Breezy? That’s a first. Read even more compliments in our Feefo reviews...
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...