Lighting up time in Leeds is currently set at 16.51, but it seems to be darker a lot earlier than that as we glare listlessly from our windows towards the grey murk of the ring road. Thankfully we have records to keep us from fretting too much about winter. We are particularly pleased to have those Joe Hisaishi - Studio Ghibli reissues in stock at last. Pretty sweet, we hope you’ll agree. But there’s also all the pretty things you see below. Read on.
- J Mascis heads into the studio, presumably in his VW Golf hatch.
- The new Muse single sounds weirdly like Billy MacKenzie singing over the ‘Drive’ soundtrack.
- Sun Kil Moon write about hotels, hotels, hotels, hotels and hotels.
- The Wave Pictures made their new album whilst inebriated. We wrote this update sober.
- Soul man Charles Bradley issues his posthumous fourth album of belters.
- Sea Pinks make enjoyable guitar entanglement.
- Stephen Steinbrink finds beauty in despair but is urged to change his diet.
- Meg Baird & Mary Lattimore make more songs about plucking.
- Duke Spirit lady Liela Moss goes down the Jane Weaver style path.
- Boygenius are Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus. None of which are boys but are they geniuses? You decide.
- Heather Leigh. Absolutely, categorically no relation to Phil Leigh.
- Cubs make heartfelt folk for lighting up time.
- Mick Harvey and Christopher Richard Barker put World War I poet, Edgar Bourchier’s words to actual music.
- While we patiently wait for Merry 6Mas 2018 here’s a 3CD box set from ambient guitar great Yellow6.
- Peter Broderick’s original soundtrack to Mark E. Smith’s - no, sorry, it’s Mark C. Smith’s animated short.
- Compilation of The Men back in their hardcore punk days.
- Folky singer songwriter Dan Mangan does Van Morrison ish things and puts a variety of seabirds on the sleeve.
- That ‘y’ confirms that Octopus Syng are heavily indebted to Syd Barrett.
- Rays do the DIY indie pop thing. So who is the best Ray? Davies? Wilkins? Mears?
- Clever and engaging lo-fi pop from J Fernandez. RIYL Broadcast and Mac De Marco squaring up.
- Sorry. No Chris Rea this week.
- Goat are so popular they actually sell 7”s.
- How-the-hell-are-they-still-popular lad rockers The Wombats.
- Snarling Aussie punk people The Scientists.
- The Library Music Film is a film about the discovery of, yes, library music.
All else New In that has arrived so far….
- It’s Christmas time. There’s no need to be afraid because Sufjan Stevens has re-issued his box set of festive tunes.
- Stereolab re-issues. Two choices - Peng! Or The Groop Played Space Age Batchelor Pad Music.
- The Fall’s seminal early singles compiled.
- UT live loud and ‘leashed.
- Remember The Telescopes when they didn’t break your ears?
- The Scorpions & Saif Abu Bakr. Not of course the Scorpions who whistled Winds of Change at us.
- Urge Overkill had a premonition of re-issue culture.
- The re-issue of this Carola Baer tape ensures every piece of music recorded by anyone ever has now been re-issued.
Check out our release schedule timeline where we also miss stuff out off a list.
Ant’s Electronic Round Up
Old Skool, Nu Skool, Skool Run.
- Ilpo Väisänen pays tribute to Pan Sonic partner and friend Mika Vainio as I-LP-ON.
- Jana Winderen recordings of plankton, sea ice, seals, orcas, humpbacks... brrrrrrrrr.
- ZULI album on UIQ fusing melancholy ambient, Arabic rap and Sci-Fi electronix.
- WIDT x Christoph de Babalon spellbinding gothic opera type thing on Bocian. Possessed vocals and dark, foreboding sound design.
- Michele Mercure dream music anthology spanning tapes from 1983-1990.
- New album from The Gasman… just come to read the meter love…
- 5CD set of ambient/drone bliss from the ever prolific Celer.
- Rocket launch Shit & Shine bum you out ‘Bad Vibes’, man.
- More Bibio ‘Phantom Brickworks’ excursions into dreamlike ambient.
- Forget Prefuse 73 as Guillermo Herren does a tabula rasa as Reto A Ichi.
- First time on vinyl for Akira Rabelais sophomore album ‘Eisoptrophobia’ > sensitively applied software creates a new perspective on Satie and Bartók ivory tinkles.
- Koen Holtkamp unleashes the BEAST.
- Jeff Mills ‘Waveform Transmission Vol. 3’ eternal slammers re-pressed on Tresor.
- Lia Mice uses the sampler to interpret ideas of time travel. Fine LP on Optimo Music.
- Posh Thesis 03 bundle of 4x 10" records in laser-cut handmade packaging incl. Sophie Hutchings & Julia Kent, Aaron Martin & Tilman Robinson, Andrew Hargreaves & Andrew Johnson, Kyle Bobby Dunn & Anjou.
- Lest we forget albums from Yoshinori Hayashi on Smalltown Supersound and Max Graef on Tartlet.
We tell you in no uncertain terms how to buy music.
- From Ruth White to Aphex Twin: our guide to the best electronic music
- From Ennio Morricone to John Carpenter: our guide to the Best Soundtrack Composers
- From Fargo to Bob’s Burgers: our guide to the Best TV Soundtracks
- From Doom to Minecraft: our guide to the Best Video Game Soundtracks
- From Coil to Muslimgauze: our guide to the best experimental music
- From Big Black to Radiohead: our guide to the best Indie Rock
- From Orange Juice to Broadcast: our guide to the best Indie Pop
- From Talk Talk to Swans: our guide to the best Post-Rock
- From Black Sabbath to Pig Destroyer: our guide to essential Metal
- From Neil Young to Ryley Walker: our guide to the best singer-songwriters
- From Jaws to Star Wars: Genre-Defining Soundtracks
- From Psycho to Reservoir Dogs: Decade-Defining Soundtracks
Money Saving Stuff
- Vinyl Price Match! We're confident we can match almost any price. Try us.
- Free Shipping! UK orders over £50 ship for free. With apols to non-UK folk.
- Normanpoints! Sign up for an account and start saving literally pennies.
This week we had a curious new sound in the office but at the time of writing we have no idea what it was. Tune in next week when we’ll see if we can unravel the mystery.
Words: Clint, Ant.
Work: Jamie, Benn, Kim, Nathon, Keith, Daoud, Phil and (Ian) Love Changes Everything.
Customer Compliment of the Week: “Everything was alright”. Read even more lukewarm compliments in our Feefo reviews.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...