This Week’s Stuff:
- Record of the Week. Scooping both the local and national award.
- Latest Reductions: 10% off these ones….
February always seems to be the Tuesday of months. Neither one thing nor the other and still pretty bleak round these parts. Still, it’s unleashed the best week of releases so far with a stellar opus from local lads Hookworms, a whip smart new Field Music LP, misery from the Soft Moon and the Godspeed fella doing his solo thing. Tonnes of stuff in fact - the details are below.
Astounding new sounds….
- Field Music. The clogs of Sunderland’s answer to Steely Dan/10cc remain clever.
- Efrim Manuel Menuck is the seemingly urine-fixated Godspeed fella.
- America’s stretchiest jam band Bardo Pond.
- Richmond Fontaine’s Willy Vlautin has soundtracked his book.
- Feel good happy day psych from the newly cheery Hookworms.
- The Soft Moon. Not particularly cheery.
- The great new Carlton Melton LP has a track called ‘Basket of Trumpets’.
- Go Go Penguin.
- Horror soundtrackees Goblin live in concert.
- Sad tastefully plucked slo-core from Red River Dialect.
- Ragged Aussie chums Good Boy.
- Southern glam-rock warbler Kyle Craft is about to answer the phone.
- Death metal super-group Low Estate do some really good noising.
- Hiatus Kayote’s Nai Palm covers her own band and all the other greats.
- The Cold Spells snappily titled new one. Try asking for it at your local Our Price.
- Jim Ghedi makes music for fields etc.
- Rhye certainly enjoy looking at the ladies.
From when they was fab….
- Roxy Music. So many Brian/Bryans.
- Those great post punkers Magazine get a few re-read.
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs but when you see the price you’ll say ‘no no no’.
- The Times leader is called Ed Ball. No relation to Dave or Ed (Balls).
- 90’s style baggie indie from Easy. Top tunes.
- The Housemartins return from a time when every singer had their own cardigan.
- The Future Sound of London’s 1994 era classic ‘Lifeforms’ gets a revamp.
Ant’s Electronic Round-up:
Our Resident Dadvisor.
- Dystopian cityscapes from 2814 aka HKE and t e l e p a t h. Limited edition, one-time pressing of 500 copies on Arcola. These will fly.
- That there Mika Vainio, Ryoji Ikeda & Alva Noto show from 2002.
- San Bernardino duo German Army investigate the 1954 CIA coup in Guatemala.
- Wee bit of the ole sound collage action on NNA Tapes from Ahnnu aka Cakedog.
- 2LP of electro mutants in classic Gescom/Skam mode from S>>D on CPU.
- Christos Chondropoulos imagines a futuristic, Greek post-human society.
- Berlin duo of darkness OAKE remixed by techno boys Regis, Samuel Kerridge, Phase Fatale and SNTS.
- Aux 88's classic Detroit electro-techno-bass doublepack ‘Magnetic Bass’ rebooted.
- Kirk Degiorgio raids DATs for some rare and unreleased Future/Past tunage.
- Diverse breakbeat rave gear from FaltyDL.
- Tape of Killing Sound, LTO, DB1 and Silo reductions of Paper Dollhouse.
- Meatbingo fella (Skam) teams up with U.S synthwave producer > Phono Ghosts & Sferro tape on Fonolith.
- Sold out at source 12” on Novel Sound from NYC techno/house man Levon Vincent.
- 2LP of Glaswegian party jackers from Big Miz on Dixon Avenue Basement Jams.
- Nice up your area with the RunComeTest! EP from Seekers International.
- Balearic beats connoisseur Moonboots compiles a 2LP on Music For Dreams.
- First album in yonks from Scanner who’s left his actual scanner in the shed and got loads of modular clobber.
- Monster Rally dish out some tropical, exotica laced hippity-hop-tronica.
- Samiyam had better have vegan cheese at his Pizza Party.
Tiny little ones...
- BEAK> release their ‘Sex Music’ 7” at last. Hope that it’s all that it’s quacked up to be (...resigns).
We can help with your poverty….
- UPDATED! A bunch of recent overstocks with money off.
- Don’t forget to check out our usual reductions (10-30% off), Bargain Basement (40% off, 50% off) and Graveyard (70% off).
- Latest Reductions: 10% off
That’s your lot. Enjoy February. It’s pretty good really.
Team Norman x
Words: Clint, Bob and Ant. Work: Kim, Jamie, Benn, Daoud, Robin, Phil, Nathon, Ian.
Customer Compliment of the Week: “Like a very large lizard…. “
Read our Feefo reviews. Please.