*Latest bargain label promos….. This time a ‘home’ special*
...and did you check the Second Language promo from earlier in the week? You should.
Ok so you really need to look at the site at 8AM (GMT) on Saturday morning. There will hopefully be things on there some of you may be interested in. That’s all we’re saying. Until then please check out the last of our cheap promos (see above) and all these new things that have come in on the week we were rocked by the news that our Ian was ill again.
Thru wind, hail, snow, sun, rain, cloud…...
- Thurston Moore is back with a good new batch...and in case you were wondering it is his real hair.
- Ol’ horn blower Colin Stetson has to be the best saxophone honking Colin.
- Always good to have Mew about but my word they are slick these days.
- Singing lady Feist.
- Man from Blur and his cartoon pals Gorillaz.
- Slightly naughty jangle-poppers Palm Honey.
- Kris Gietkowski for reasons best known to himself covers most of Egg’s debut LP.
- Sophie Hutchings makes piano music so nice it should be illegal.
- A squelching pool of nostalgic synth work from College.
- Nice music for nice people by Tara Jane O’Neil.
- Mark Lanegan just doesn’t make a fool of himself. Ever.
- Yeah, just call yourselves Wall. That’ll do
- Babe are described as a party band but they made us melancholic like the ‘80s.
- Experimental twists of modern classical from Seabuckthorn.
- Little Cubs are so damn arch they could take over when the Pet Shop Boys retire.
- Post War Glamour Girls are neither from the postwar period nor glamorous nor girls (apart from one of them).
- Oh my God he’s covered in yellow paint.
- LA Police Department are not the actual LA Police Department who have never (to our knowledge) made a record.
- BNQT are a supergroup with members of Midlake, Franz Ferdinand and Wings.
- J. Dilla. It’s not new but it’s unheard music which means it’s new.
- Finally it’s here. The Rifles unplugged album drops at last.
Psych rock special….
This week we’ve separated all the psych rock to make space for other genres….
- Slow psych rock and a pastoral sing song from Mt Mountain.
- The Janitors are not actual janitors. Instead they make psych rock.
- The Cosmic Dead have declared death to psych. They’ll be the ones who will suffer.
- Golden Pelicans make racket for punkish long hairs.
- 10000 Russos are this week’s 10000th psych rock band.
...and here’s the ‘New In’ pages in case you want more.
Inspired by Record Store Day these have been re-unleashed.
- Galaxie 500 alumni Damon and Naomi get one of their albums re-issued.
- Big box set of Bert Jansch’s final recordings.
- Madlib’s ‘Bad Neighbours’ gets an instrumental reworking.
- Flying Saucer Attack’s ‘Mirror’ is in.
- Massive big bloody box set from the Membranes. Same hair for 30 years.
- I Monster get the album that had their hits on re-vamped.
Ant’s Electronic Round-Up:
That GAS record sounds less impressive when piped through the baby monitor.
- Pan Sonic fellow Ilpo Väisänen soundtracks the collapse of the world economy through brutalist electronic dub as I-LP-O In Dub.
- Second ‘Colundi Sequence’ compilation of Aleksi Perälä brain dancing techno bleepers.
- Go remortgage the house/offload a child on Ebay China - GAS vinyl landed this week.
- Limited, darkside 12” sampler for Pessimist’s forthcoming album on Blackest Ever Black.
- Bleak, ominous techno from Berlin’s SNTS on Horo.
- Limited stamped/numbered, 4-track 12" EP from French eccentric deep house master Pépé Bradock.
- ‘To Andreas Gehm’ tribute to the late German acid wizard feat. Tzusing, KiNK, L/F/D/M, Umwelt, Basic Soul Unit, Marco Bernardi, Mark Forshaw, Rivet.
- Atrax Morgue wooden box set with seven tapes of pure sonic necrophilia.
- Glimmering technoid glitchers on Editions Mego from Telfon Tel Aviv and Belong people as Second Woman.
- Pipe and slippers at the ready for more bvdub ambient drifters.
- Two new slices from Sound in Silence by Moshimoss & Stabilo and Athene.
- Blackened, futuristic sci-fi electronics and industrial inflected techno from Simbiosi on Cosmo Rhythmatic.
- Pair of Barry Lynn (Boxcutter / The Host) ambient/kosmische tapes.
- Super limited edition lathe cuts on KinetiK from Andrew Pekler, David Kristian and Dataman.
- Gentle, warming electronica augmented with live instrumentation from Selffish on Serein.
- Hardcore mutations mixtape from Low Jack as Carval Tarek.
- Get yer pre-orders in for long lost tracks unearthed on DAT from The Other People Place / Drexciya legend James Stinson as Jack Peoples!
Will take up no more than ten minutes of your time.
- Recently rediscovered shoegazers the Veldt issue new material.
- HMLTD. What do they look like?
- Funk laden electro from Dataman.
- King Creosote. Rare tunes from the lad. Scottish like.
- “Jo Foster is amazing”....say the people who released her record. She covers King Creosote too.
- Sendelica and Superfjord cover two Frank Zappa ‘classics’.
- Lorelle meets the Obsolete release a 7” on Sonic Cathedral. Features Gnoomes remix.
- Get a free badge if you buy the new Crumplehorns record.
That’s it from us. See you Saturday morning. Bright and early.
Words: Clint, Ant, and Robin.
Work: Phil, Kim, Robin squared, the birdman, Laurie, Nathon and sickboy.
Customer Compliment of the Week:
“5 star rock n roll!”
Relegate our Feefo reviews.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...
9/10 from Ant