- Our Record of the Week is lovely. 10% off until midnight tonight.
- COMPETITION! Buy the Danny Brown LP and get put in Phil’s hat to win one of 5 rare promos of the LP.
- NEW FEATURE! Check out our Artist Explorer and discover the next thing you might quite like.
- Oh and...Coil.
As the nights get darker we get busier. There must be some kind of correlation. This week has been particularly strong for new records thus disproving Phil’s recent theory that all music is rubbish. Check our reviews to find your new favourite thing or read below for a resume of all the most interesting things that have appeared on our shelves seemingly by magic.
Like golden leaves on an autumnal day they’ve fluttered delicately through the metal shutters.
- The Pattern Forms are the latest thing from Jon Brooks of the Advisory Circle. This time with pals Friendly Fires.
- New one from Japanese post-rock heavyweights Mono.
- Indiana brothers Busman’s Holiday make super cosy orchestrated pop with nods to Sufjan.
- Superb voiced lady Weyes Blood issues wandering third with bonus tea bag!
- Orchestrated lovely music from Agnes Obel.
- Sad-eyed indie pop from upset Swedes the Radio Dept.
- Roy Montgomery: the comeback.
- Twinkly emo grown ups American Football issue long awaited follow up to the one with the house on it.
- Relive your wonderful years with a the Notwist live LP.
- Warm psychedelic fuzz from the Seed Coat.
- No self respecting lady should give Tim Buckley her key.
- Noisy men the Dillinger Escape Plan will split when their sixth is released (i.e now?)
- Really angry guitar twirlers the Wolfhounds are fuming on their first LP since 1990.
- Tiny pop man Chris Weiseman is like a cross between Elliott Smith and cushion.
- My Invisible Friend are a nice shoegaze-friendly Italian three piece.
- Liverpool lads Hooton Tennis Club bring us a massive box of chocolates. Thanks.
- Savoy Motel are like a slinky Beck, a sultry Strokes if you will.
- Holy Sons is the drummer from Om and Grails being quite tuneful actually.
- Charlie Ulyatt performs his delightful guitar compositions live in concert.
- Lovely rural cabin folk from Ignatz.
- Thor is a surprising gentle big man from Swans making sweet Steve Reich style minimalism.
- This is Crocodiles 6th LP. Where does the time go eh?
- Sweet-voiced lady Magik Magik makes some orchestral Feist-a-like.
- Finally a collection of loads of Half Man Half Biscuit B sides and stuff.
Sometimes we’re too busy to review everything so if we’ve missed your favourite record then send us a review. You could earn Norman Points or win a prize!
That time when the past was better….
- Camberwell Now was a group made up of former This Heat Charles Hayward and pals.
- Wayne Siegel did big guitar orchestras. Great...unless you hate guitars.
- Schizophrenic kraut groove-sters Guerilla Toss get a tape re-issued onto vinyl.
- 15 year anniversary re-issue of Califone’s ‘Room Sound’. Smooth.
- Sonic Youth gangle Thurston Moore once hung out with Tom Surgal for a jam session.
Ant’s Electronic Roundup:
Teaching the cat the back works of Throbbing Gristle…..
- Totally crackers LP from Sculpture’s Dan Hayhurst.
- Kreidler's Detlef Weinrich provides Antinote with unreleased jams from his Toulouse Low Trax archives.
- LP + 10” of dusty techno/house from Opal Tapes/UIQ artist S Olbricht on Lobster Theremin.
- Jesse Osborne Lanthier tape on Rabit’s Halcyon Veil label. Edition of 100 copies.
- Useful CD compilation of bleeping minimal techno ‘Colundi Sequence’ tracks from olde Rephlex alumnus Aleksi Perälä.
- Hype Williams’ Inga Copeland aka Lolina has her ‘Live in Paris’ recording out on wax.
- Nab a limited purple wax copy of Katie Gately’s industrial pop album on Tri Angle.
- Loads of Andrew Weatherall’s mates remix his ‘Convenanza’ album.
- A Made Up Sound (2009-2016) 2CD compiling a load of 12”s.
- Renick Bell job on Lee Gamble’s UIQ label.
- Tresor reissue Terrence Dixon’s ‘From The Far Future’ 2LP with bonus 7" of 2 previously uncut tracks.
- FaltyDL’s club music drifts into weirder private realms on his new full length on his Blueberry label.
- Curious electro-acoustic action from Valerio Tricoli & Hanno Leichtmann on Entr'acte.
- Footwork trax from Chi-town’s DJ Diamond.
- Trotter gazing ambient from Mark Harris & JOHN 3:16.
- Acronym masters mesmerising repetition on Semantica. Also on the label a plate from Peter Van Hoesen / Wata Igarashi / Etapp Kyle / Marco Shuttle.
- Pulsating minimal synth jams from Folkvett on Pater Noster.
- Scuba’s done a Fabric mix.
- Dark Entries from Diseno Corbusier and Die Form.
- 12” on Future Times from DC’s OV / Diego (aka Dude Energy, Suzanne Kraft).
- Joey Beltram eternal classic ‘Energy Flash’ remastered/ single-sided 12” is back in.
- Om Unit’s Torchlight series hits volume 3 and features (DJ) Krust!
- Marquis Hawkes housin’ it up on Aus Music.
- Pre-order the whopping ‘Brainbox’ 6x12”, 25-track box set Incl. µ-Ziq, Meat Beat Manifesto, Mike Dred, Deepchord, Locust, Scanner, Plaid remix, Heinrich Mueller remix, Mika Vainio etc. 300 copies.
- Melodic modern electro-funk and beyond from Peggy Gou on Technicolor.
- Techno 12” corner: Call Super on Houndstooth, Eduardo de La Calle on Nonplus, Struction on R&S, Jeff Mills on Axis, Dez Williams on Earwiggle, Perc + Randomer on Perc Trax, Kero & Gotshell and Rumah & Progression on Blueprint, Ryuji Takeuchi on Innersurface, Fetnat on Nous, Odopt on Born Free, Panthera Krause on Lobster Theremin.
Small things…. cute.
- The Wharves give a small taster of what to expect from their third LP.
- CC Dust sound like Savages in collaboration with Sir Gary Numan.
- Sun-bleached psych and vintage pop from the Liminanas.
That’s it for now. I’m off next week so I will leave you in the worrying hands of Robin for next week’s updates. Don’t let him confuse you with his high falutin’ words.
Words by Clint and Ant. The veteran dream team.
The Normanites this week were Philip Leigh, Laurie, Benn, Kim, Nathon, Jamie and there’s no Ian joke this week as he needs a rest.
Customer Compliment of the Week:
There was a handwritten poem inside the package....
Read our Feefo reviews to see how generally good we are.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...
8/10 from Clinton