- Record of the Week. 10% off til midnight tonight.
- You liked the ‘Stranger Things’ soundtrack, right? Well these guys are also S U R V I V E.
We’ve been packing. Oh lord we’ve been packing like never before. Your custom has been relentless - thank you.
Below you’ll find lively discussion on this week’s offerings as music continues…...
All new records. Just home from the pet store.
- Pixies are back with what they are contractually obliged to do.
- Ultimate Painting are what happens when the side project becomes the group.
- Jenny Hval’s latest has some fearsome influences but isn’t always as hard on the ear as you might expect.
- Ian Sweet isn’t a man at all. It’s a promising sounding indie band we haven’t reviewed yet.
- Ol’ squeaker is back. Hi Bon Iver.
- Danny Brown. “Kinda like Cypress Hill descending into lunacy” says an old guy.
- The Wands and The Wytches.
- As soft as a really nice blanket, Midori Hirano makes non minimal ambience.
- Aukai releases this week’s most autumnal record.
- The Piano Man™ Yann Tiersen is back a twinklin’.
- Soundtracky stuff from Super Furries front chap Gruff Rhys.
- Misery man-duo Arab Strap have a ‘best of’ comp out in good time for the Christmas rush.
- The Clang Group show that there’s life after 45.
- 30 year old sludge titans Neurosis have an Albini-produced new one out.
- Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard. Does what it says on the tin.
- Warehouse are like Pylon with a hairball to cough up.
- Hypno psych action on Cardinal Fuzz from Dead Sea Apes.
You know Constellation. It’s the label that did Godspeed and about 320 other good bands. Here are their three new ones which you can also buy in a bundle and get 25% off!
- Angular ambient techno album that Robin ‘didn’t understand’ from Automatisme.
- However Robin yelled “This new Constellation release is amazing!!!” at Jason Sharp.
- Also one of the year’s most peculiar electronic records from Off World.
Our Daily Deal
We virtually give away one record per day. Here is today’s.
These are like when you brush an old dog.
- Blonde Redhead’s early, grittier work is re-issued on 4LP set.
- Even grittier New Yorkers Sonic Youth get their ‘Confusion is Sex’ re-badged.
- Tenniscoats confirm what we always thought …’Music Exists’.
- Another re-issue from super power poppers Game Theory.
- The lovely Western Skies Motel album is now out on vinyl.
- Cliff Martinez ‘Drive’ soundtrack is out again because it’s like one year old or something.
- Now that he’s not a bad man there’s lots of Roy Harper re-issues coming out.
- Here’s a secret: King Geedora is MF Doom.
- Sublime Philip Glass-like Gamelan from Daniel Schmidt.
Ant’s Electronic Roundup:
Wharfedale - kind of the mid point between Detroit and Berlin.
- The Caretaker album came and went in a flash. Fear not, there will be a repress...
- ‘Knock Knock, Who's Dead?’ Compilation tape on Kikimora Tapes incl. Beau Wanzer, Masker, Beppu, Mimoid, Windbreaker, Mitchell Akiyama etc.
- Mountains person Koen Holtkamp LP on the ever reliable Umor Rex.
- Red with black splatter vinyl 12” from UK techno veteran (now just one guy) B12 on FireScope in signiture sci-fi/ Detroit style.
- New Machinedrum album. Oh dear.
- Pummeling techno action from Ascion on Repitch.
- Avant electronic soul/ pop on PAN from Yves Tumor.
- Wesh dark ambient master Lustmord lands on Touch with the self-explanatory ‘Dark Matter’.
- Cracker of an album from FIS on Subtext, chock full of explosive organic sound design.
- Cavern of Anti-Matter / Booze / Fupper / Clean & Jerk / Apothéose de la Trahison all on a plate on new Power Vacuum sister label Inversions.
- G-funk, deep house, acid squelchers from Adam Feingold back on Funkineven’s Apron label.
- 80’s horror/ sci-fi synth tweakers S U R V I V E album on Relapse. Now with a whole new legion of fans thanks to that strange thing on the telly.
- A Year In The Country bring some rave hauntology.
- Pastoral Kosmische from Forma on Kranky.
- Déjà vu inducing, warm droner LP from Danny Clay.
- Funny name corner: rkss 12” on Alien Jams, Drömloch LP on Kit Records, Rain Dog LP on Project: Mooncircle, Wojciech Golczewski LP on Death Waltz Originals, Jemh Circs aka Black To Comm, JS Truchy on Root Strata.
Time for a couple of little ‘uns?
- Really badly named bad guys Slaves take the Jools Holland approved route to punk infamy.
- Really badly named good guy C Duncan adds an extra dollop of synth to his brew.
We’ll leave you with this thought….. eventually there’ll be a band called D. Cuncan.
Words by Clint and Ant with some strains of Robin going on.
The Normanites this week were Phil, Laurie, Kim (minus foot), Nathon, and Jamie. Ian is busy Facebooking his holiday.
Customer Compliment of the Week:
“Speedy delivery; perhaps even TOO speedy” (We’re so sorry!).
Read our Feefo reviews to see how generally good we are.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...