Thursday February 25th 2016
- Record of the Week. 10% off til the clock wafts midnight.
- Pre-order the debut album from post rock/shoegaze supergroup Minor Victories.
- Who loves Constellation? We all love Constellation! So grab yourself 20% off some Constellation goodies. Do it now.
Rising Jesus-like from the grave is Phil who, only four days after having the most easy to foresee heart attack symptoms ever, is now back in his work chair and getting stressed all over again. Thanks to the five people who sent their wishes. As a result we’ve been a bit stressed and strained this week but hopefully like the proverbial duck everything looks kind of ok on the surface. Let’s get on with seeing what has come in in his absence.
- “The loudest shoegaze band in the world fronted by a squeaky dog toy”. Yup it’s Pinkshinyultrablast.
- Fresh from co-celebrating our 2015 Album of the Year award we have a new one from Arcade Fire fiddler Sarah Neufeld.
- Arriving just too late to soundtrack “Grimsby” are lad rock regurgitators DMA’s.
- Quilt are a funny bunch. Sometimes they sound like the Vivian Girls, sometimes they sound like Love. Can they please decide?
- Sennen make twinkly post rock shoegaze that you can imagine being on the end of a hand-made cdr back in ‘05.
- The Big Eyes Family Players do best when they keep the noise down on their latest Broadcast-ish psych folk effort.
- David Vassolitti’s name is dangerously close to David Hasselhoff but his music is very different. He’s the Merchandise guy.
- Mothers unwieldily titled opus is front to back gorgeous says Robin.
- ‘Pool kraut fuzzers Mugstar have signed to Rock Action and this is what they have done.
- North East coast dwelling neo classicists Brave Timbers coagulate piano and lots of strings on their second LP.
- The Guy Garvey it’s ok to like Steve Mason unleashed Elbow produced smoothie on Domino.
- Psychedelic acid-freak-folk with shades of Nico and Grouper is Jamie’s take on Fursaxa.
- Jerky new wavers Gazebos stay glued together with the help of some Gloy gum.
- I’ve written the word Bogart. Why?
- Low-voiced Icelandic psych sters Gunman and the Holy Ghost release their second on collab-er Anton Newcombe’s ‘a’ recordings.
- The Slasher Film Festival Strategy make eerie synth soundscapes for films which don’t exist on Death Waltz.
- Grindcore legends and general loud operatives Magrudergrind release their first in seven years.
- One man Paul McCartney Emitt Rhodes hasn’t been quite as prolific as the Macca over the years. He’s just released his first record since that hot summer of ‘73.
- Pretty shoegaze from one man My Bloody Valentine Matt Bartram.
- Sundays & Cybele channel the loud, fluorescent, psych vibrations of countrymen such as Acid Mothers Temple and Boredoms.
- The Volume Settings Folder make sketch-and-improv attitude to ambient/drone/post-rock composition. Mmmm lovely drones.
The past is now better than it was at the time.
- The Frozen Autumn were kind of like an Italian goth Pet Shop Boys. Made me check in to see what Sal Solo was doing these days.
- Why is the re-issue of Gary Gilmore Eyes credited to TV Smith and not the Adverts? Answers on an email please.
- J Dilla ‘Donuts’ 10th anniversary vinyl edition has been and gone but will be back just you watch.
- Acres and acres of David Bowie re-issues including ‘Bowie at the Beeb’ which presumably is basically a collection of Bowie running around trying to avoid known paeodophiles.
- Spanish language synth pop from Family who are not the prog rock Family but a different Family.
- See? Stoners do work hard. Sleep’s ‘Dopesmoker’ gets re-issued again and this time they’ve got it together enough to add a bonus track.
- Former maestro now idiot Morrissey has his ‘Bona Drag’ re-issued and re-packaged with extra tracks and a tacky badge.*
- Hawkwind re-issue their monstrous 2LP live show ‘Space Ritual’ from ‘72.
- Got more vinyl copies in of Throb-Grist’s ‘20 Jazz Funk Greats’.
* No extra tracks or tacky badge really.
Ant’s Electronic Roundup:
There’s a new daddy in town….a discotheque daddy.
- Aciiieeeed!!! Mutant City Acid 3 12” inc. Cardopusher, Perseus Traxx, Posthuman and Paul Mac. Edition of 303 copies.
- Anyone into Detroit Sludge? Check How To Kill 004 inc. Marshall Applewhite, Shady P, The Friend and Remote Viewing Party.
- Strategy knocks another one out on Further Records.
- James Holden & Camilo Tirado / Luke Abbott get classic 60’s/ 70’s New york minimalist school on your ass.
- Hard hitting electronics from wee nipper Jire on No Pain In Pop. When he grow up he’s going to be Russell Haswell.
- Watch yer caps lock, WANDA GROUP is back on NNA tapes.
- Bill Converse (insert weak footwear related gag here) electronic antics on Dark Entries.
- Blackest Ever Blacker Secret Boyfriend’s name is Ryan Martin. Sorry I’m rubbish at keeping secrets.
- Lust For Youth frontman Norin makes you feel like you’ve overdosed in the chill out room. Except chill out rooms don’t exist anymore, do they? Posh Isolation LP job.
- Surgeon got invited to Blueprint’s 20th Birthday party.
- Bullion was once upon a time on Planet Mu. Now he’s all grown up and has an album on his own label. He’s done well for himself that lad.
- Not Waving man dem compiles 2LP of obscure Italian post-industrial music from The Tapes.
- XL Recordings keep one foot in the rave with fancy XL Chapter VI 3LP set with cuts from Zomby, Powell, MssingNo, Novelist x Mumdance, blah blah blah.
- Limited hand-stamped Rezzett 7”(!)... no idea where the other 5 inches went.
- Dig those Rezo Glonti albums on Time Released Sound and Umor Rex?
- Nutjob Ewa Justka tape of freaky electronic noise. 40 copies
- Kassel Jaeger, Stephan Mathieu, Akira Rabelais powerful enough to make women grow beards.
- Old Andrew Pekler Kranky album gets vinylized.
- The zillionth DMX Krew record is an album on Hypercolour. Remember those Hypercolour clothes that showed everyone you had sweaty cream crackers?
- Detroit’s Marcellus Pittman knows how to rock a party. New 12” on his own Unirhythm label.
- Twelve inches of pleasure; Ploy on Hessle Audio, Robert Hood on Dekmantel, Perc on Stroboscopic Artefacts, Violet Poison on Candela Rising, Oliver Ho and Danny Passarella, Oliver Rosemann on Earwiggle mit ein Sleeparchive Remix, NY*AK on Technicolour, Etym on Sensory Trials, Casio Royale on Dixon Avenue Basement Jams, Neana on Night Slugs, Commodo on Black Acre, Cousin on Loefah’s 81 etc.
If stuck think of them as shrunken LPs.
- Posse make wistful indie like Galaxie 500 or Cass McCombs.
- There’s a fuzzy Ty Segall-ish brand of fuzz rock from Fruit Bomb on Too Pure.
- Lake Ruth are folks from Holy Feck and the A Lines making oddball lounge on the Great Pop Supplement.
- That Freaking Tank are Leeds rockers who visited China and made this 7”.
- Officers and Fizzy Blood go head to head on new Leeds label Come Play With Me.
That’s it for this weeks edition. Remember, we’d have to be superhuman to tell you about everything that has come through our doors so it’s always worth checking our New In page when you get a minute.
Words by Clint with Ant and things stolen from Robin.
The Normanites this week were: Phil, Kim, Laurie, Jamie, Ian and Nathon.
Best records this week
According to our review team at least...