Record Store Day: rules and tips
Improve your chances of picking up some tasty RSD vinyl by knowing the rules and following our top tips.
(Looking for the RSD stock page instead?)
It's gonna be hellish...
Due to the exceptional demand for RSD items and the intense strain it puts on our poor website, two things are almost inevitably going to happen:
- Pages will load much, much slower than normal. Be patient.
- Some of the items you add to your cart will sell out before you can complete checkout. Don't panic: forget about them and move on, quickly.
We will put in place various measures to help speed things up but there is only so much we can do. Moreover, we only have very limited quantities of most items (sometimes single copies) and competition for them can be extremely fierce. RSD online is a race where whoever gets through the checkout first wins.
You need to be fast. Read these tips carefully (before the day itself) to help speed you up.
- Just because you have an RSD item in your cart doesn't mean it's yours. You have to complete checkout to stand a chance.
- We will be removing the usual option of adding items to existing orders.
- It is much quicker to checkout if you use a Norman Records account with at least one shipping address saved. Don't lose valuable seconds typing your details into the checkout. Don't have an account? Create one here.
- Make sure you are signed in to your account by 11pm on Friday 19th April. Don't leave this until the last minute as signing in whilst the site is so busy could delay you.
- Make up your mind about the RSD items you want beforehand. You will not have time to argue with yourself once the race begins.
- Add any non-RSD items to your cart beforehand. Browsing the site for non-RSD stock will slow you down.
- Use a desktop or laptop computer if you can. Our site is adapted for mobile phone and tablet use, but small screens are slower to use than large ones.
- Use Chrome or Safari as your browser if you can. These are usually much faster than Firefox or Internet Explorer on our site.
- Learn how to use your browser's 'Find' control (usually CTRL+F or CMD+F). It will come in useful if you need to use the (long) RSD stock page.
- If any of the items in your cart sell out before you complete checkout then the site will warn you via a popup alert. Don't be alarmed, and deal with your disappointment quickly. Once an item sells out there is nothing you can do, so forget about it and move on - before you lose another item.
- Save any voucher codes you have for another day. Applying a voucher code to an order when the site is so busy could delay you.
- All RSD items are one-copy-per-customer. Don't try to add multiple copies. The site will prevent you and you'll only slow yourself down.
- Similarly, don't try to buy more than 15 RSD items. The site will stop you, slowing you down.
In summary: decide what items you want beforehand, get your account and shipping addresses ready, know your technology, know the rules, and generally just don't muck about.
Other things to note
- In order to help speed up the site we will not be taking payments immediately. Just place your order and we'll contact you later on to confirm what items we can supply, how much you owe, and how to pay.
- You can only order a maximum of 15 RSD items. No exceptions.
- All RSD items are first-come, first-served. No exceptions.
- All RSD items are one-copy-per-customer. No exceptions.
- You cannot reserve RSD items before Saturday. No exceptions.
We reserve the right to cancel your order where we suspect unfair play. So, for example, if you place multiple orders in an attempt to break the 'one-copy-per-customer' rule or the 'maximum of 15 items' rule you will find that ALL your orders are cancelled. Don't say you we didn't warn you!
After you've placed your order
We will begin processing all orders on Sunday 21st April. Due to the huge demand we need to streamline our dispatch processes as much as possible, so please note the following:
- You may not get all the items you want, even if your order appears to complete successfully. We will try to make sure you get everything you checked out but we cannot guarantee it. Thousands of customers + extremely limited stock = inevitable disappointment for some.
- The email confirmation you receive is the best indication of the items you have secured. But it may not be 100% accurate. We will confirm as soon as possible.
- Please don't contact us regarding payment. Be patient. We will contact you regarding payment when your order is ready to ship.
- If you request to cancel too many RSD items it may lead to us cancelling your entire order. So if your idea is to place a big order as some kind of 'insurance policy' so you can pick and choose what you really want later, forget about it.
- All RSD orders will be dealt with separate to any other orders you have. We cannot combine your RSD orders with any existing orders.
- We will not amend RSD orders. If you need to cancel an item or two then that's your right (subject to point 3 above) but we cannot add extra items into RSD orders or swap them for other items.
- We will not merge RSD orders with other orders.
We realise some of the above is a bit harsh, but we're trying to make everything go as smoothly as possible for the most number of people. Record Store Day is a wonderful thing (mostly) but it places extraordinary demands on our limited resources, so we have to be a bit stricter than usual. Your normal, friendly, helpful Norman Records service will resume once the madness is all done with.