Reasons to shop with us » 0113 245 4399

Red House Painters Vinyl, CD & tapes from this artist at Norman Records

Before he was 100% an arse, Mark Kozelek was only 95% arse and the other 5% was dedicated to making very special music. Some of that came in the early Sun Kil Moon Days, but most of the magic lives on in old Red House Painters records, his decidedly slowcore band. They made two self-titled opuses of dragged-out misery rock with greyscale guitar tones before moving on to the folksier outro of their existence, paving the way for Kozelek's more pastoral current sound.

Similar to Red House Painters:

Galaxie 500, Sun Kil Moon, Songs: Ohia, Sparklehorse, Low, The Microphones, Mark Kozelek, Mercury Rev, Arab Strap, Mojave 3, Bedhead, Jason Molina

Mark Kozelek
Mark Kozelek

Folk rock farter Mark is back again with a record of self-contracted checklist box tickers: a front cover with an anonymous photo of some landscape and stuff, some very pretty picking, some inoffensively bad songs. The ‘here and there’, shrug of the shoulders music of a low-key bastard. He sounds kinda friendly on this one, though --...view item »

Red House Painters
Ocean Beach

Ocean Beach is the Red House Painters record that most resembles a Mark Kozelek solo record, predicting his future career a lone guitarist in Sun Kil Moon. It's personal but not in that annoyingly straight-forward way that accompanies his newest, most awful releases, instead sho...view item »

Sun Kil Moon
Ghosts Of The Great Highway

This prick again. Except not again; then. There was a time when Mark Kozelek’s music meant a whole lot more, when his voice was sweeter and his lyrics comparatively shorthanded. This was it. It was a time when we actually cared about his dad. ‘Ghosts of the Great Highway’ was his first record under the Sun Kil Moon moni...view item »

Red House Painters
Down Colourful Hill

It was the best of times, way back when Mark Kozelek was not awful to his audience and offensive to journalists; back when there was a forlorn band called Red House Painters weaving devastating lyrics in and out of slowcore threnodies. Down Colorful Hill was the very first entry into the band's canon...view item »

Red House Painters
Red House Painters / Rollercoaster

The high watermark of Mark Kozelek's career was both reminiscent of his earlier, more dour slowcore and indicative of the sombre guitar sage he'd become on early Sun Kil Moon records (before he became The Worst). Rollercoaster is a classic, a singer-songwriter record that languishes with the form in favou...view item »

Red House Painters
Red House Painters / Bridge

Of the two sorta untitled Red House Painters records, Bridge is the perennial underachiever, a record that's more subtle in places and less focused in tone. It makes for something of RHP rock record: a strangely joyous cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am A Rock" appears, as does a gloomy, pan...view item »

Red House Painters
Red House Painters

I've kind of immersed myself in the Red House Painters over the last few months so I can compare this one pretty confidently to the others. I'll say that this is equal to anything they've done and possibly my favourite. If you like these guys at all, do yourself a favour and pick this one up. Call their music dream pop, indie rock, alternative -...view item »

Sun Kil Moon
Common As Light And Love Are Red Valleys Of Blood

Here’s my problem: I’m sure Mark Kozelek farts. I am sure it is something he does. And yet… he doesn’t write about it. Why doesn’t he write about it? Because he just isn’t. That. Honest. You think he is, because he acts like a dick and that's so true -- and I’m sure if he sang “I did a fart”...view item »

Mark Kozelek
Rock 'N' Roll Singer

He's indie rock's most formidable and canonical arsehole. Before he was quite as annoying and reminiscent of Grampa Simpson on one of his go-nowhere rants, he was slightly more redeemable and a better songwriter to boot. Rock 'n' Roll Singer was his debut record under his own name, following on from slowcore sadsaps ...view item »

Red House Painters
Old Ramon

The Red House Painters recorded their sixth and final album, Old Ramon, in the late nineties, although it took several years for it to be released due to label wranglings. Its consequent ‘legendary lost album’ status turned out to be fairly warranted, as this is one of Mark Kozelek's stronge...view item »

Privacy, cookies, etc.