* RRR is the seventh album for Hey Colossus, and the third for Riot Season (also home to Circle, Acid Mothers Temple, Shit And Shine, Black Boned Angel, Todd, Sloath, Ultraphallus etc). This album follows last year's Eurogrumble Vol.1 LP, which received broad acclaim as well as landing in some end of year lists also (notably in ROCK A ROLLA magazine top 50 of the year).
*The band formed in 2003 as a five piece, based in London. Eight years on (and with line up changes reminiscent of The Fall) they are now a seven piece based in London and Somerset (though nine people perform on the album). RRR was recorded through the winter of '10-11 in Dropout, South London, home to analogue tape and all things loud. Mixed by Drumcunt and Basspuppy, mastered by Hamilton Industries (Part Chimp's tub thumper).
* RRR is definitely more varied than previous Colossus records and it explores more subdued, quieter passages. Such moments of calm are not the only varied thing about the new record, Hey Colossus also explore the swooping filmic sounds akin to many a film score, think along the lines of Taxi Driver and Spaghetti Westerns. Some Krautrock-esque mantras also come into the fold, combined with a Nurse With Wound / DNA influence. Alongside this, 'The Drang' keeps up the one riff, one tune - like Sabbath done through NEU! that HC are hard for. There is a choice Berlusconi baiting Can inspired clangathon, 'I Am Bunga Bunga', with a rant that is buried but audible.
* The result of all of these amalgamating sounds is a Hey Colossus album unlike any other, out with the old and in with the new. RRR is the perfect soundtrack for the spring and summer months, assuming you like the idea of the Butthole Surfers manning the BBQ, Faust cleaning out the pool, and GG Allin manning the bar.
* "Eurogrumble Vol 1" is, without doubt, this month's most useful and essential sonic bargain" - JULIAN COPE
* IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING THE VINYL EDITION OF THIS ALBUM
The vinyl pressing of the album, is limited to 250 copies worldwide. Each copy comes in a hand painted Gatefold sleeve. All the outer parts feature the same yellow/green/red theme as the CD (except they've been hand sprayed with stencils). The two inside gatefold panels however reveal something all together different. EACH copy, has it's own unique hand painted work of art by UK artist Chavinda Hood. That's 250 unique sleeves, no two copies are the same. A future collectible in both art and music terms. Looks amazing!
1. Teased From The Nest (5:02) 2. The Drang (4:32) 3. RRR (2:58) 4. Rotated For Success (8:24) 5. Almeria, Spain (5:35) 6. Warmer The Belter (8:10) 7. I Am Bunga Bunga (5:19)
Be the first to review 'RRR' by Hey Colossus. Best customer review each week wins a £10 voucher!