Recommended by us on 6th May 2011.
· Gang Gang Dance continue their compelling musical evolution with
new album ‘Eye Contact’, the New York based group’s first full-length
release since joining 4AD.
· Although together in their current incarnation for a decade, Gang
Gang Dance only really came to the public’s attention with the
release of the EPs ‘Hilluah’ and ‘Rawwar’ and crucially, 2008’s genrebending
long-player ‘Saint Dymphna’. The latter in particular has
come to be regarded as a landmark record in forward thinking pop
circles, showcasing the group’s love of improv and experimentation
and drawing inspiration from the local New York art community with
which the band have close ties.
· ‘Saint Dymphna’ also served to highlight previously untapped talent
from the UK underground with a then unknown Tinchy Stryder
providing vocals for the avant-grime track ‘Princes’. A pioneering
piece of work, it – coupled with their incendiary high-octane live
performances – served to establish Gang Gang Dance as one of the
most exciting and innovative acts of their generation.
· After a personnel change (Tim DeWit departed shortly after the
release of ‘Saint Dymphna’, allowing drummer Jesse Lee to join the
band), Gang Gang Dance returned to the studio in 2010 with longterm
collaborator Chris Coady (producer of ‘Saint Dymphna’ and
‘Rawwar’, as well as recent releases by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Zola Jesus,
Beach House and TV On The Radio) and work began on the group’s
· ‘Eye Contact’ sees the new line-up subtly build upon the melodic
aspects of ‘Saint Dymphna’. The album opens with a brief speech, “I
can hear everything. It’s everything time,” then segues effortlessly
into the audacious eleven-minute slow-burn ‘Glass Jar’. It’s an
ambitious beginning yet it is a coherent statement of intent.
· Elsewhere, ‘Eye Contact’ features a guest appearance from Alexis
Taylor of Hot Chip, whose signature vocals take centre stage on the
track ‘Romance Layers’.
· Initial orders of the CD come in deluxe foil-blocked digipak
Be the first to review 'Eye Contact' by Gang Gang Dance. Best customer review each week wins a £10 voucher!