Recommended by us on 23rd October 2009.
BEDROOM COMMUNITY - Iceland’s most esteemed label. And what a stunning album to kick off with, one of the most mindblowing records released this year!...if you are looking for an ambient/electronic companion album to the magnificent Sunn O))) ‘Monoliths and Dimensions’ record then look no further.
* Ben Frost represents one of today’s new breed of musicians who conjures an aural broth that inhabits an amorphous cross-section of genres. It’s impossible to truly classify where he is coming from musically but it would be safe to say his fans would also have records from Sunn O))), Fennesz, Tim Hecker, Thomas Koner and Murcof lurking in their collection.
* To call him an experimental electronic musician brings no justice whatsoever. His recent performance at Sonar was heralded by Resident Advisor as being "awe inspiring...the most visceral show of the festival".
* Ben Frost took the spotlight and smashed it to pieces in 2007 with his breathtaking and critically acclaimed LP ‘Theory of Machines’. Wire Magazine said "it is simply awesome--- this is Arvo Part as arranged by Trent Reznor", Mary Anne Hobbs included him on her acclaimed "Evangeline" mix CD. Boomkat named Frost "one of the most interesting and groundbreaking producers in the world today" and even went so far as to call ‘Theory of Machines’ "the future of electronic music".
* Three years later, Frost has returned with his second full-length for Bedroom Community, BY THE THROAT. Where ‘Theory of Machines’ came sterilized in fluorescent light, BY THE THROAT is blood red and cloaked in shadow. Produced in Iceland by Ben Frost and Valgeir Sigursson (Bjork, Coco Rosie, Bonnie ’Prince’ Billy), BY THE THROAT features performances by Amiina of Sigur Ros fame, The Arcade Fire’s Jeremy Gara, Swedish metal outfit Crowpath and composer Nico Muhly.
* Aside from the purely musical language of harmony and melody, like Amiina’s strings on "Leo needs a new pair of shoes", there’s the level of musique concrete; the weaving of non musical sounds into the musical fabric. We hear the snarling of wolves and the groaning of lions in ‘Killshot’, the microscopic clicking and whirring of hunting killer whales in "Through the roof of your mouth" and the unmistakable sound of a human gasping for breath in HÃ–bakÃºsja. Then there’s the sheer physical experience, the literally visceral effect of Frost’s seismic rhythms and high- pitched shrieks on your body. These extra-harmonic elements are not just effects to punctuate the musical narrative in BY THE THROAT, but are integral, unifying motifs.
* BEN FROST will be touring extensively through 2009/2010
1. Killshot 2. The Carpathians 3. O God Protect Me 4. Hibakusja 5. Untitled Transient 6. Peter Venkman Pt I 7. Peter Venkman Pt II 8. Leo Needs A New Pair Of Shoes 9. Through The Glass Of The Roof 10. Through The Roof Of Your Mouth 11. Through The Mouth Of Your Eye
Best customer review each week wins a £10 voucher!