Our album of the week (15th May 2009)
* Delivrance is A Hawk And A Hacksaw’s fourth album and first full length since 2006’s cult classic The Way The Wind Blows (reviews listed below).
* The band have developed a strong following for their celebratory live shows, reflected in the tour they have booked for May, with a summer of festival appearances to follow.
* This is by far the most vivid, intense and confident work by AHAAH to date Délivrance was recorded in Budapest, Devon and Albuquerque in the second half of 2008 around the core of The Hun Hangár Ensemble, who originally teamed up with Jeremy Barnes and Heather Trost for the limited edition CD/DVD in 2007.
* The recordings feature some incredible musicians, such as Kálmán Balogh, one of the very best cimbalom players in the world, and brings together music from Eastern Europe, Israel and Turkey, as well as North America.
* The band appeared on BBC2’s The Culture Show in 2007. AHAAH played All Tomorrow’s Parties at the behest of Explosions in the Sky and Portishead. and also became the first-ever tour support for the latter in 2008. AHAAH played SXSW this March and have support slots with Andrew Bird and Wilco in North America in April.
* They have collaborated with Beirut, Fanfare Ciocarlia and The Master Musicians Of Joujouka, and played with Of Montreal, Calexico, Kocani Orkester and others in recent years.
*A Hawk And A Hacksaw - The Way The Wind Blows press reaction:
- "Ambitious, ethnically rich. suffused with Eastern flavours, his kaleidoscopic approach - from mariachi brass to klezmer to European traditionals - is vivid and startlingly diverse. There’s something experimental and faintly trippy too. ’God Bless The Ottoman Empire’ could be George Harrison’s ’Within You Without You’ snaking through an ancient Turkish bazaar" (4/5 - Uncut)
- "First-class folk" (The Guardian)
- "A captivating ragbag mixture of styles that blends Barnes’s meandering, vaudevillian songlines with plangent melodies of violinist Heather Trost" (The Daily Telegraph)
* Tracklist: CD/LP: 1/A1. Foni Tu Argile (trad arr Barnes) 2/A2. Kertész (Barnes) 3/A3. The Man Who Sold His Beard (Barnes) 4/A4. Hummingbirds (Barnes) 5/A5. Raggle Taggle (Trost/Barnes/trad) 6/B1. I Am Not A Gambling Man (Barnes) 7/B2. Turkiye (Barnes/Trost/trad) 8/B3. Zibiciu (Barnes) 9/B4. Vasalisa Carries A Flaming Skull Through The Forest (Trost)10/B5. Lassú (trad arr Barnes)
Be the first to review 'Delivrance' by A Hawk And A Hacksaw. Best customer review each week wins a £10 voucher!